Mint Frappes & Mishaps (Did I Stare In His Eyes Too Long?)

SUMMARY: Hank wakes up in a good mood and walks to the cafe. Connor flirts with Hank.

Hank woke up the next morning in a very good mood, doing his morning "routine" that he'd recently developed. He'd realized a month back that he should take better care of himself- maybe not just for Connor, but for himself, too. He dared to allow himself to think he deserved it, and it felt strangely nice. It was foreign, he hadn't felt happy in a long time, but he concluded that it was definitely a welcome change.

He'd let himself sleep in until about 12:00 P.M., so he finally felt like he'd got enough sleep. He actually ate breakfast, although all he made was an egg salad sandwich. He washed it down with a glass of water. The water was another recent addition because he'd hardly drink water before, but Connor insisted he needed to incorporate it more into his daily diet. He could never say no to his stupidly convincing puppy eyes, so of course, he listened.

He'd cleaned out his fridge a week back and bought healthier things, and he felt like a different person looking up healthier food recipes. Frustratingly, a lot of the recipes he found were posted by soccer moms trying to get their children to eat healthier. Hank was a grown-ass man. Eventually, he'd found a couple of websites that he'd bookmarked, his old laptop doing it's best to keep up with him. He felt quite proud of himself when he successfully made whole-grain waffles one morning; they surprisingly didn't taste like shit.

He'd set up Christmas lights that he hadn't brought to the cafe outside of his house as well, feeling more holiday spirit this year than he had in a long time. More in the holiday spirit than he had since Cole's death. He knew the words, and he was willing to accept that it was Cole's death that had him spiral into a horrible state that he'd maintained for years. It was going to be fucking difficult to reverse years and years of damage, but he knew it was possible. He'd even gotten himself a therapist, despite himself, and it really helped to be able to have someone to give him direction.

Today was Saturday. And it was also Christmas Eve.

He walked outside, deciding to walk to the cafe today. He saw more people than usual making their daily commute, some wearing panicking expressions and speed-walking with bags in their hands. Hank stopped at the cafe, smiling at the decorations outside. They'd done a pretty good job.

He walked in, hearing the bells jingle behind him. He sat at his usual table and watched Connor turn, watching his brown eyes immediately look to the table. He saw Connor's face light up, his eyes sparkling. Hank smiled as he watched Connor rush over. "Hi, Hank!" He chimed, clearly in a good mood as well.

"Hey, Connor," Hank greeted, ruffling his hair fondly. Connor momentarily leaned into his hand, and Hank liked the fact that Connor didn't bother to try and meticulously fix his hair. "I can't stay long, but I'll take another one of the mint frappes you're so good at making." Hank grinned at the way Connor beamed at the praise, but his face soon fell.

"You aren't working today, no?" Connor asked, looking a little upset. Hank's heart hurt at the way Connor's face had fallen, and he'd given up blaming the way his heart would twist in his chest on anything else. His therapist had helped him admit to himself that he was in love again. She'd also helped him realize that it was okay to let himself be happy and that it was okay to love Connor. She'd been convinced that Connor returned Hank's feelings, but Hank doubted it.

"God, no. I just need to buy something for someone. I'll still be at the class and everything, don't worry, dork." Hank explained, worsening Connor's hair with his hand. Connor leaned into it before Hank put his hand back down. Connor blushed at the nickname.

"Yeah, I ought to do some Christmas shopping too," Connor said, seemingly thinking out loud. Hank let his eyes wander across the brunette's face, counting his freckles. It was honestly therapeutic. Connor met his eyes and Hank's heart sped up dangerously when he stared into Connor's deep, brown eyes. Hank looked away, clearing his throat and fighting off a blush.

"Uh, the coffee?" He said, grateful his voice didn't tremble the way his hands were.

"Oh- uh- okay!" Connor chirped. He rushed off to get Hank the coffee, bringing out a paper cup. That was clearly a new addition, but it was probably much easier than the usual mugs that would always have to be cleaned. Connor stopped and took out a sharpie he had in his apron pocket. Hank saw him write something on the cup and then he continued to walk over to Hank. He handed Hank the coffee and smiled. Hank took it out of his hand and looked at it. It said "Hank ♥".

He smiled at the cup and turned to leave, but before he could, Connor took his arm and kissed his cheek. Hank blushed like a madman as Connor fucking giggled again. Hank watched, frozen in place, as Connor walked- no, he fucking sashayed- back into the kitchen, but not before winking at Hank. Hank, who could swear his soul left his fucking body for a moment. He regained his composure and walked out of the cafe with a wave to Simon, who just smirked from the register. Coffee in hand, he walked back home with a grin on his face.