Taking it Slow

SUMMARY: Connor takes Simon's advice and is patient with Hank and as the weeks go by, they learn more about each other.

Connor saw Hank and let out a breath he didn't even know he was holding. He watched as Hank sat at the usual table. He hurried into the kitchen and prepared Hank's coffee, not rushing the coffee and pouring a bit more than usual because Hank looked almost as tired as Connor felt (and was.) He walked over to the table, careful not to spill Hank's coffee.

"Hi, Hank." Connor chirped when he met Hank at the usual table. Hank looked up at him, lack of sleep quite obvious on his face. Connor resisted the urge to frown, but he wasn't smiling anymore.

"Hey, Con," was all Hank said before he took the coffee and drank half of it. Connor looked from him to the coffee. He could really use a coffee right now. Hank put the mug down and looked back up at Connor. He put his hands on Connor's face, tracing the dark circles under his eyes. Connor felt his face flush instantaneously and he couldn't stop himself from leaning into Hanks' hands.

"Looks like you and I have the same problem," Hank chuckled. Connor's heart was beating hard. He liked it when Hank touched him. He was disturbed that he had to suppress an urge to lick Hank's hand. Hank let his hand fall down to the table and Connor's eyes followed it.

Hank had no idea how much Connor cared about him. He was tempted to say it, here and now. But he remembered Simon's words and figured it'd be for the best that Connor takes it slow. So Connor chatted about different things, changing the subject from their sleep deprivation. He gave Hank hints, but Hank just really wasn't getting it.

And he did it for several weeks. He'd asked Hank questions without trying to be too pushy. Hank had improved a lot at yoga, and they'd drifted from beginner's yoga to intermediate. Connor was pretty f... Alright, he'd say it. He was pretty fucking proud of Hank. He just wished he could show it better than a smile. But every time he was tempted to do so, Simon's words called him back to rationality. It'd be best to get closer to Hank.

And he did get closer, learning more and more about the police lieutenant he just had to fall in love with. Hank's favorite color was blue, and that was something he and Hank had in common.

"I am really starting to appreciate brown, though." Hank had said. Connor didn't use to like blue nearly as much. But then he met Hank. That was... two and a half months ago. He also learned what Hank's best subject in school was history, and Connor listened fondly when Hank ranted about how 2020 had a "shitty" president, with child-like enthusiasm. Hank learned that Connor's best subject, at least academically, was English. He was always great in Physical Education, though.

Connor, currently, sat outside of his apartment in the late November breeze, recalling a few of their conversations.

"Used to be cheeseburgers. I'm not too sure, now. I don't really eat those anymore." Hank had said. Connor thought for a moment before responding.

"You'll just have to try new things, hm?" Connor suggested with a shrug. Hank looked away bashfully.

"I'm no good with change, Connor," He laughed awkwardly. Connor's face softened.

"We can work on it together then," Connor offered with a hopeful smile, and Hank sighed and smiled back.

"Yeah, maybe," Hank mumbled.

On another morning, Connor asked, "What do you like in a partner?" He hoped he didn't imagine the pink that tinged Hank's cheeks.

"Well, shit, that's not an easy question. I can't really be picky, I just need someone who won't run off and can put up with my shit," Hank paused, already seeming flustered. "But also... when they look at you and you can just... feel their love, you know? And then you feel it in your heart..." Hank trailed off and bit his lip. Hank's use of a gender-neutral pronoun didn't go unnoticed by Connor, and Connor took that as a good sign.

Connor smiled at that. "I think I know what you mean," He had replied. He knew that he knew what Hank meant. Because... Because he was in love with Hank. He'd admit it to himself. Shocker.

Less than a week later, Connor asked him, "What's your ideal date?"

"Just being outside at night. It's really nice out there if you're out in nature or some shit. Just away from people where you can see the stars..." Hank had trailed off, but Connor was listening attentively.

"I'll remember that," He had hummed, earning a flustered sound from Hank.

"Fuck you trying to remember that for?" Hank asked, and though his brows were furrowed, he was blushing. Connor giggled at the sight of it and gave an innocent shrug.

"I don't know," Connor lied, and Hank dropped it with a roll of his eyes.

And a few days ago, on a Tuesday morning, Connor inquired, looking as though he were bracing himself, "What do you like the least about me?"

"The fact that you're hiding something from me," Hank said with little hesitation, and Connor's heart clenched.

"Hypocrite," Connor remarked, smirking. Hank just looked away with a guilty look on his face, but Connor gave him a friendly shove.

"Maybe one day we'll grow the balls to tell each other," Hank chuckled at his use of the phrase the two of them had been throwing back and forth repetitively, dancing around one another, both too scared to say anything that would make them vulnerable.

"Yeah. Maybe."