CHAPTER 46

MOVING ON IS A PROCESS

The next day, school was half-day because of some internal reason and so we were home by 1:00.

I'm in my room now, with my mind close to exploding from the amount I'm thinking about the marriage happening in 2 weeks. How is it going to be? Who will be invited? I don't know anything about Catherine's family, how am I ever going to live through dad's wedding?!

Oh god. Wait. After the marriage, Catherine's going to be living in my house....along with her son. Who even is he, by the way? Dad never had us meet. Ok forget that, but like, I'll never even be able to walk around my house comfortably anymore. In my own house, I'm going to feel judged for everything I do, wear and how I act. My life is never going to be the same after the wedding, I know that.

My stomach rumbles, begging me to feed it. Has lunch been cooked already? I didn't hear Maria come in and go out. Probably because I had been in my room the entire time. I sigh and walk out to see the afternoon sun greeting every corner of the Johnson living room. I smile at that and go to the kitchen on my search for some food, only to find Luke sitting on the counter and eating cookies. He loves those a lot, doesn't he?

He sees me walk in and a small smile takes over his lips before he looks back down at the box. I feel a jab in my stomach, probably because of hunger but mostly because of that damned small smile he's been giving me all day. We hardly talked since returning home from Rebecca's yesterday. Even the car rides were excruciatingly silent and awkward. I'm pretty sure he hates me now. 

I turn to leave but my stomach makes a loud, growling noise, embarrassing me to no end. I bury my face in my hands and hear a short, adorable chuckle from behind.

"You know you can ask me if you want some, Skittles."

My heart paces, hearing his voice and I blush, "Is lunch ready?" "I ordered takeaway. Maria is out of town currently and I'm too hungry to wait till the food comes, so this is all I get for now. Want some?" He asks and I shake my head, but my stomach insists on its way again and so I turn around, "Just one."

He grins and extends his hand with the box. I walk slowly towards him and he keeps taking his hand behind until I'm standing right in front of him, between his legs hanging off the counter.

I take a cookie from the box and move back, but he wraps his legs around my back, keeping me in place. I look up and he winks, biting into his cookie. I look around awkwardly, his stare making a simple task like eating a cookie very very hard.

I finally give in and look up at him. Now he's even taller than before on the high counter. I smile weakly and he reaches down to my face, "You have a little something there." He points to my mouth and I raise my hand trying to remove the possible crumb.

He shakes his head, "No...there." "Where?" I ask, moving my hand around my mouth to find it and he grins before bending down and placing a kiss right at the edge of my lip, "There. It's gone."

My cheeks burn and my heart goes crazy just with the little contact I've missed these past few days. "There wasn't anything there, was there?" I ask, biting my lip but he just responds with a grin.

We are covered in silence again, only this one didn't feel awkward, just...heated. In a good way. Luke's cheeks are a little red as he looks at me, making me blush harder.

Okay cheeks you don't always have to be the redder ones!

"You don't have to keep it all to yourself, Skittles. It really does no good, believe me. I know." He suddenly says, looking down at me. I nod and swallow my last bit of the cookie before removing his legs from around me and walking away.