Invisible

Some of us are unseen because we wish to be, some are invisible because there are no choices. I suppose I was a mix of both reasons.

If she saw me, there's no telling what she would've done. So I had to remain invisible. I could follow her wherever, whenever. It was the park, in the evening.

I sat behind her, admiring her thick, curly black hair flowing down to the small of her back. Her dark skin a stark contrast to my orange. I look ugly compared to her. Compared to anyone on this planet.

She got up without warning, as if something was wrong, a worried look on her face.

If I had known she'd trip over me, I'd have left. She stumbled and turned round, looking for what she'd tripped on.

I was too shocked to move. She crept slowly over to me and stuck her foot out. And hit me.

Her eyes widened and her knees buckled. I moved at a speed swift to Earth dwellers but normal to my planet.

I couldn't believe I had her in my arms.

That was the only good memory they couldn't take away. It's the reason I still live.

===

I originally wrote this for one of the Science Fiction profile's competitions. It was my first time dabbling in Sci-Fi so to have people read, vote and comment on this is encouraging. So thank you!

By the way, do any of you have any Sci-Fi works (Wattpad or published) you'd recommend?

Let me know in the comments!

-  KC