Chapter 10

!!TRIGGER WARNING: ABUSE!!

I care about your mental health just as much as mine so if this is going to be triggering skip the bold italics

(looks like this)

Clayton Reid

Today's the day. Maryanne would be adopting getting Stella from the orphanage this afternoon, and I can't hide the excitement that washes over me. I have a pep in my step the whole time I get ready for work. Janessa notices my happier mood and gives me a questioning look.

"Wow Mr.Reid. You're happy today." 

"There's a whole day awaiting Janessa. It's a good day to seize it." I respond.

"I've never heard you so optimistic sir. What are you up to?" She raises an eyebrow at me. 

"Just because I'm happy, that means I'm up to something?" I taunt.

"With you sir, always." She laughs.

Janessa is gorgeous, even I can admit that. She's a young, spritely college student who helps me out between classes for the extra money. She doesn't come from the most financially stable background and she didn't get any grants or scholarships either. She's getting herself through college. 

She's not full-time, of course, Adrianna works full-time for residency in the building. She lives just four floors down and I pay all bills and fees. She's a good worker and cares for everyone she meets so the favor comes naturally. 

I wave goodbye to Janessa and step into the elevator. Axel is waiting for me as the elevator door opens on the garage floor. I step out and Axel follows me as I make my way to the Cadillac Escalade, I pull out my phone while Axel opens the door for me. 

Once I'm sat in the seat I dial Maryanne. "Everything's ready I assume." I start off the conversation.

"Yes, Mr.Reid. I'm going to pick her up at two o'clock." A smile creeps on my face as she speaks. 

"Perfect." I respond and press the red button that ends the call. 

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

Stella

I step off the bus after Lukas. I give a tiny hop to readjust my backpack and carry on to catch up with everyone else. We reach the hill the house rests upon in silence, all of us confined in our own minds. 

I glance at Hailey to see her biting the left side of her lip and playing with her fingers.

She's nervous. Or thinking. What's she up to?

I shift my vision back down to my feet and continue walking. 

When the house finally comes into vision we all notice the black SUV that shines in the sunlight.

"Wonder who's here." John voices our thoughts.

"Let's go find out who." Lukas says as he steps ahead of us. 

We collectively pick up our pace to the front door. Lukas opens it and we all step in. Logan and Maggie are seated at the dining table playing some sort of card game. We all set our backpacks by the door as we see Makayla coming out of the office with a red-haired woman dressed in a navy blue blouse, black pencil skirt and heels following behind her. 

As they arrive at the at the bottom step I get a better look at the woman. She's got gorgeous green eyes and her red hair falls in waves at her elbows. Her bangs end right above her eyebrows and her light makeup barely reveals her freckles. She's very beautiful.