Our Connection

Alex's POV

Our small studio apartment can barely measure my height.

The beige walls corner me, with the living room the only place I can stretch my legs. My bedroom, being a cubic room, just seem to disappoint me.

But this is my life. This is the life I'm living to save mine and Maytivoza's life. Even though right now her present isn't here.

Two weeks ago, when I and Maytivoza got up from Zeke's apartment, my phone buzz crazy, getting fifty calls from Ovian. I wasn't sure what happened last night, but the fact Ovian call me that much mean something bad had happened.

"What happens?" I panicking stutter. I quickly got up from my bed, walking to Maytivoza's room. I rapidly bang her door, seeing her mutter as she rubs her head.

"Your mother came last night. She was looking for Maytivoza." Ovian voice came out.

Silent lingers in the air as I try to understand what she said.

What she mean she came? Was she looking for Maytivoza to kill her so soon? The blood in my ear begins to rise, making it hard to control my strength. I clench hard on my phone, hear a few cracks come from my fist.

Maytivoza notices my agitation, rapidly pulls the phone away from my grip, and place it next to her ear.

"What you mean?" Maytivoza walks away from me.

I try my best to stay calm, but the fact Pearl visit Ovian, mean she knows about Maytivoza and where she can find her. And if Maytivoza and I were there...

"She wanted to see you, Mija. Pero dijo ella que tú no estaba aquí. Then she tries to kill me. Oh, thank the lord that Zeke was there. I would be dead for sure if he didn't stop her." The worry in Ovian's voice breaks my heart.

This woman did everything she could to protect me from this woman. And the moment I'm not there for her, she could've died.

"But you must stay in the city. If you come back then she'll be waiting for you both. Please. I...don't want anybody else to suffer." Ovian voice shakes, begging. Maytivoza shakes her head, lowering down the phone down.

"I'm not doing that." Maytivoza grits her teeth hard. She hung up Ovian, walking back to her room. I quickly follow behind, lifting my hands.

"What the hell? What do you think you're doing?" She grabs her black leather backpack and put on her boots. She ties her hair up, and...now I see. She is trying to leave.

"I'm going to see her. Your mother." She pulls her bag over her shoulder, ready to leave. "She can't do that. She can't hurt Ovian, and you for my grandmother's fault. I..." she rubs her nose, looking away. "can't lose anyone, anymore." She shook her head quickly, sniffing. "So...I'm going to see her. She wants me died, then lets it happen."

No. No, she can't do that. She can't give up. I know I was cruel to her earlier, but she someone's daughter. Sister. And maybe one day, someone's lover.

But she can't comment suicide just to protect two people. I can't see someone that seems so close to me, yet far, die. I only knew her due to her father's letter to my grandmother, but...I feel like I know this girl since I was little.

Her struggle, her battle. They aren't anything compared to this. They are far more difficult and challenge than she thinks it is. And yet, she is giving up because Ovian almost got killed?

"You're stupid."

She stops in her track, looking up at me. She scuffs, about to say something, but I interrupt her. "You're stupid if you think you're the only one that is going to do this. I'm going to help you."