||14||

After that day, it was rough. My health got worse and worse as winter hit America.

I was at the point where I couldn't move, I couldn't even digest food so I had IVs giving me the nutrients that I needed. It also hurt. A lot. I felt like someone was hitting me with ten buses everyday and sleeping was basically the only thing I managed to do.

Yuzuha and Shoichi were always there despite my very croaked and strained urges for them to leave and spend some time together. Alas, my efforts were all in vain as they both stuck by my side like I was some kind of magnet.

"Hi! Hi! Hi!" a voice echoed from the doorway. I groaned and turned my head to see my new friend, Roselyn, I call her Rosi.

We met on chance one day when she moved into the room next door.

"Hi," I greeted her weakly as I tried to push myself up but failed miserably.

"Oh, honey, don't sit up just for me," she said quickly, "but hey. I came with a gift~ it's your birthday today so happy 18th birthday~!"

I stared at her for a moment, surprised. Then I found myself smiling, it wasn't the largest smile in the world but it was genuine and I think she could see that because her expression brightened up as she revealed a f/c string (complicatedly) braided bracelet. She put it on my wrist and then revealed an identical one on her own wrist.

"I have too much free time so I made us matching bracelets," she grinned.

"Thank you," I smiled at her, "you're really... amazing."

"Aw shucks," she let out a bashful chuckle. 

Roselyn is a girl with super short blonde hair and beautiful honey brown eyes. She's in recovery from some kind of cancer. Thankfully, she's clear of it now and just recovering. More than I can say for myself.

"Oh! Guess what?" she beamed, I gave her a curious look and she took it as a motion to continue, "my girlfriend came to visit this morning. Her hair is super short like mine now too. She said though she couldn't be by my side through the whole recovery stage, she still wanted me to know I was being supported by her and shaved her hair when she learned I shaved the last of mine of a few months ago and now it looks the same as mine. Isn't she so cute?"

Roselyn's girlfriend is called Clarissa. The two have been friends since they were kids just like me, Toru and Hajime. Apparently, Roselyn and Clarissa realised they liked each other when they were fifteen and they started dating almost right away because Roselyn had the guts to actually outright confess as soon as she realised. I admire her for that.

"Yeah," I managed to mumble out a response, "you two really are the perfect couple."

She blushed and waved off my comment with a small laugh.

"What about you? You said you had a boyfriend but we've never really spoken about him. Are you still dating?" she asked, flipping the conversation to me and Toru. I shook my head.

"We stopped... we stopped when I found out I was sick a-again," I forced out, "I didn't want to hurt him again... it's ironic that he was the one who c-convinced me to take treatment just by telling me to live."

She stared at me before letting out a small squeal.

"I bet he still loves you with all his being," she exclaimed, "I have to meet him one day!"

She then paused before grinning.

"Oh! I know! When we're both out of here and living our lives again," she started, her eyes sparkling with determination, "I'll bring Clarissa to Japan and we'll hang out. You, me, her and your boyfriend. But first you have to have one hell of a romantic moment with him. Like, you'll return and find him, when he sees you and is still in a daze, you march your pretty little butt over to him and drag him into a kiss. Pull back and tell him 'I lived bitch'."

I couldn't stop the laugh from escaping my lips at what she just said.

She stared at me for a moment before letting out her own laugh.

"What? It's the perfect opening line," she exclaimed, "then you can go 'oh, also, I love you still' and hope to hell that he still loves you back."

'Still'?

I've been gone for a while now.

"He's probably moved on," I muttered, looking out the window and over the city we were in.

"Why do you think so?" she asked, curiosity dripping in her tone.

"Because when we broke up... he got a girlfriend after I forced him to put some distance between us," I replied, "this... is no different."

"If he really did-- does love you then he won't do that," she replied, "last time he didn't know you were sick. This time he does. He knows that even though he can't see you, it's because you're busy fighting for your life somewhere else and if he loves you he'll have so much hope and determination to meet you again."

I looked at her and frowned.

"What?"

"You have a honey tongue," I told her, she gave me a confused look, "you can smoothly talk down any situation. That's one hell of a skill you've got there."

She stared at me before smiling.

"I'm just that awesome," she said, flexing slightly. I let out a small laugh as she did as well.

"Alright, Miss l/n, ready for your medication?" Dr Dr (no.2) walked in, "oh, hello Miss Collette. Mind leaving for now?"

"Not at all," Roselyn shook her head, backing her wheelchair up, "have faith, y/n, keep fighting!"

I nodded and weakly raised my fist. She grinned and bumped hers against mine before leaving the room.

"You've made a good friend in that girl," Dr Dr commented, "you're both very lucky to have each other."

I smiled weakly.

"I'm lucky to have her," I said, "she's a gem amongst pebbles, that's for sure."