2. professor snape

Harry was busy in the front garden, Persephone keeping him company as he pulled out weeds. There were few mice in the yard any longer, Perse having hunted most of them, but she liked the sunshine anyway, and Harry appreciated that she liked spending time with him,

Still, he was oddly quiet that day. Usually, he would be talking to his friend, teaching her what he had learned at school, what books he had read, or how to understand English. But Harry's mind had been occupied with the mysterious letter he had received three days ago, and he wasn't much in the mood for conversation. He agreed with Persephone that, if magic existed, the idea that you had to be trained in it wasn't far fetched. However, the existence of the letter meant that other magical people knew about him. Someone knew about him, and still, he was left with the Dursley's.

It was a troubling thought. He had figured out long ago that the way they treated him wasn't right, that it was even abusive, but no one had ever helped him. Not when he came to school in Dudley's old rags, when his family could obviously afford better. Not when he fainted from hunger in gym class. Not even when he built up the courage to mention something to one of his teachers.

To think that someone knew that he lived there, and he left him there.... he didn't like it.

Harry was lost in thought on this troubling subject, methodically and automatically pulling weeds, when Persephone hissed at him.

"There's someone coming. I can smell them," she said, slithering into his shirt to hide and coiling around his waist.

Harry stiffened slightly. He assumed that it was the postman, perhaps, or a visitor of the Dursleys. He soon heard footsteps, and didn't look up. He preferred to be ignored, when possible. But, as the footsteps grew closer, he couldn't help himself. He straightened up, and looked around,.

A man stood there, wearing a neat black suit and tie, and shiny leather boots. He had pale, nearly sallow skin, a hooked nose, and long, greasy-looking black hair. He was staring at Harry oddly.

"Can I help you?" Harry asked nervously. "My aunt's in the house. I can go get her, if you want to talk to her."

"Harry Potter?" the man said, his silky voice slightly incredulous.

"Yes?" Harry asked, his heartbeat quickening. Why would the man know who he was, if he didn't have something to do with the letter?

"My name is Severus Snape. I'm a professor at Hogwarts," the man continued, looking down his nose at Harry, who was still on his knees.

"Oh!" Harry exclaimed, getting to his feet and dusting the dirt off his hands. "You got my letter, then? I wasn't sure you would, since it went through the normal post."

"Yes, we received your response, such as it was," the man, Professor Snape, said, slightly impatient. "All letters sent to Hogwarts get there eventually. I've been sent to answer your questions, and escort you to get your school supplies."

"Really?" Harry asked, grinning. There was a place to get all those odd things! But his smile faded, and he frowned up at the professor. "But how am I to pay for it all? The Dursley's won't, I'm sure of it."

The professor's face spasmed slightly, as if he was surprised but trying to hide it.

"You needn't worry about that, Mr. Potter, I assure you," he said softly. "Now, I do need to speak to your aunt."

Harry glanced down at his feet, biting his lip.

"Er... my aunt doesn't know about the letter yet," he mumbled. "At first I thought it was a prank, and then I didn't think they'd let me write back."