5. a familiar bond

The mood was somewhat restrained in the odd group as they made their way out into Diagon Alley. Harry felt awkward and out of place, and the holly wand in his pocket felt like it was going to explode, he was so aware of it.

Harry knew very little about the man who had killed his parents and tried to kill him. The man Professor Snape called the Dark Lord.

He didn't even know his name.

Harry just knew that they shared a wand core, and that a phoenix must be some kind of bird if his core was a feather.

He looked at Professor Snape, and then looked down. Maybe he could explain it to him, sometime. Harry would ask, maybe once they were alone.

He glanced over at Draco, hoping he hadn't ruined the other boy's day. After all, he wanted Malfoy to be his friend, and if he was mad at Harry for what happened at Ollivander's, then he wouldn't want to be around Harry.

Draco's eyes met his, and he must have seen something, because he turned towards his mother.

"Can we go get my owl, now?" he asked, a whine in his voice. Then he winked at Harry. "You said you'd buy me a pet."

Harry smiled. He knew what Draco was doing, and he appreciated it.

"Of course, Draco. Look, there's the Magical Menagerie," Narcissa said, pointing the building out. "And are you going to bring a pet, Harry?"

Harry frowned. Professor Snape never had answered his question about Persephone. He reached into his shirt, where she was still asleep, and poked her awake before carefully winding her around his wrist and pulling her out.

"I have Persephone already," he said carefully. "I don't think I need another pet."

He remembered what Professor Snape had said about speaking to snakes, and so he didn't say anything to her. Still, the Malfoy's were all staring at him as if they'd seen something very odd, indeed.

"You have a pet snake?" Draco asked. "Wicked! Can I get a pet snake, too?" he asked, turning towards his father, and then Professor Snape.

"You wouldn't be able to take it to Hogwarts," Professor Snape warned.

Harry frowned.

"Does that mean I can't take Perse to Hogwarts, either?" he asked.

Professor Snape looked at the serpent speculatively.

"I suspect you will be able to bring her. Exceptions can be made, especially when a familiar bond is already in place, which I believe to be the case here. You've had her since you were nine?" He asked Harry.

"Yes, sir," Harry confirmed.

"And do you spend a great deal of time with her?"

Harry nodded.

"We can cast the spell to confirm it later, but I believe she is bigger than a common grass snake usually grows, which can be one of the signs of a familiar bond."

"Wow," Draco said, and Harry looked at him. He was staring longingly at Persephone. "A familiar. That is so cool."

"Thanks," Harry said, puzzled. "I don't know what a familiar bond is, though."

"You purchased a book that should have some information on it," Professor Snape said. "But, essentially, it's a magical bond between an animal and a witch or wizard. Your magic permeates the animal, making it larger and more intelligent. Sometimes, the familiar even gains magical powers of its own. It is extremely rare."

As Professor Snape spoke, Harry started to understand why he was a teacher. He had a way of speaking that drew your attention.

"Wow," Harry said, looking down at Persephone in awe. "That's amazing."