8. sorted

Perhaps his new friends sensed his dark mood, or perhaps they didn't want to discuss such heavy topics themselves. Whichever reason, for the rest of the train ride, however short it was, they discussed lighter things. Harry learned more about quidditch, and Draco bemoaned the fact that the first years weren't on the team. Pansy asked him questions about muggle fashion, to which he admitted ignorance, and the look she exchanged with Draco made him think they wanted to say something, but they didn't.

Maybe they had noticed his baggy clothes, Harry thought, somewhat embarrassed.

Pansy, who was already in her wizarding robes, left the compartment briefly to allow Harry to change. He was glad that he had new robes, at least, and that Professor Snape had insisted on new shoes, as well. The leather boots were much more comfortable than his trainers from the charity shop, and they looked nicer, as well.

Harry wanted to make a good impression after all. He thought back to Ron Weasley, and mentally grimaced. Well, not everyone would like him, but at least he had some friends already.

As the train began to slow, Harry's heart began to pound. He was nearly there, and his mind had started to race. What if it was all a mistake? What if he didn't belong at Hogwarts after all? Sure, he had accepted that he could do magic, but what if he wasn't powerful enough?

"Calm down, Harry," Draco said with a grin. "You're going to love Hogwarts."

Harry hoped so. Or, at least, he hoped that he fit in there.

Stuffing their pockets full of the rest of their sweets, Harry, Draco, Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle stood once the train stopped, and joined the mass of students pushing their way out onto a dark platform, lit by torches.

"Firs'-years! Firs'-years over here!" came the call, and Harry turned around, his eyes widening. A truly massive man was beckoning the first years towards him.

"C'mon, follow me – any more firs'-years? Mind yer step, now! Firs'-years follow me!" A little bit intimidated by the sheer size of the man, Harry stepped forward, followed by his new friends.

"Who's that, I wonder?" Harry whispered to Draco.

"I think it's the groundskeeper," Draco said back, not bothering to whisper himself. "My father says he sometimes gets drunk and almost burns his hut down."

If the groundskeeper heard them, he didn't turn around. Holding his lantern high in the air, he lead the first-years forward, down a long, slippery path. They were forced to walk almost single file, it was so narrow. The pathway seemed quite long to Harry, and he wondered when he would see the school, and where the upper years had gone.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

There was a loud exclamation of excitement and awe. They had appeared at the edge of a huge black lake, shimmering in the moonlight. And across from it was a castle, a real castle, with turrets and towers and everything. It was bigger and more amazing than Harry had ever imagined Hogwarts to be, and he couldn't wait to see what it was like on the inside.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid shouted, and Harry realized that, at the edge of the lake, was a fleet of little rowboats, all without oars. He, Draco, and Pansy got into one, while Crabbe and Goyle went to find their own boat.

Just as they got comfortable, another boy stepped into their boat, not bothering to ask if he could join them.

"Hello, Draco," the boy said, apparently familiar with Malfoy, as he got comfortable next to Harry.

"Hello, Blase," Draco replied, and Harry couldn't tell from his tone how he felt about the boy.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself, "Right then – FORWARD!"