IV. Georgia. Tuesday, December 1st, 1942.

Georgia. Tuesday, December 1st, 1942.

The march to Atlanta had started off about as well as one would expect: delays getting the men organized, tearful goodbyes from local women, and lots of Army bureaucracy. The first few miles went well, but soon enough, it had started to snow. At first it was beautiful. Crisp air, small flakes, fading winter light. But the beauty didn't last. The temperature rose slightly, and the snow turned partially to rain and soaked the terrain and the men thoroughly. As Dick was marching forward and moping, Georgia appeared at his side.

"Seven miles down, one-hundred-eleven to go," she said. She bumped her shoulder into his and flashed a smile. Dick gave her a small smile back. Thrust into the light.

He cleared his throat, shifted his gear, and then spoke. "Any news from Major Horton?" he asked.

The soft snow muffled their voices and footsteps, and caught in Georgia's hair. "Not really, I just wanted something to do that wasn't standing there and looking pretty. So, I volunteered to come check in on our leading company."

"Well," Dick began, "nothing too interesting up here at the moment. Just singing our CO's praises, as always."

Georgia's laugh was bright. "Lew's a liar," she said, "you do have a sense of humor, and better one than he does, at that."

"Thanks," Dick said, burrowing deeper into his army-issued coat. Despite the layers he wore, the frigid December wind still cut through, right into his bones.

"Are you alright, Dick?"

"What?" He looked over, and saw a flash of concern on Georgia's face. "Oh, I'm fine. Just a little cold is all."

"You, cold?" She asked humorously. "Come Dick, it's a joke. The northern boy, getting all cold during a southern winter? Hell, if anyone should be getting cold it's me."

"I've always been like this," Dick mused, "even when I was a kid back home."

"Pennsylvania, right?"

"Yes, Lancaster. You said you're from the south?"

"Technically," Georgia stated. "I grew up in Norfolk Virginia, spent some holidays in New Jersey, made the odd trip to Europe, and went to finishing school in New York City." She finished the list of her childhood playgrounds with a surprising nonchalance that made Dick feel suddenly naïve, and like he shouldn't have asked.

"Oh," he said softly as he looked away, pretending to check on the men and few women marching around them.

"Dick, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you at all -"

"It's not your fault," he started, "you just looked like you didn't want to discuss where you grew up."

"To be honest, I don't." Georgia said with a soft finality.

"Alright," Dick said. He turned his head to face forward, and the two marched in companionable silence. Every once in a while, Dick would catch Georgia looking at him, but with what he couldn't discern. He still had that vague feeling that she was sizing him up, but not in a romantic or sexual way. To be fair, he was too. After all, the intelligence she'd gather in combat could either save or end the lives of many paratroopers including Dick. She was too young for that level of responsibility, but that could also be said for many of the men in Dick's platoon. You could even say the same thing about Dick himself. All of them were about to lose years in this war that they could never get back.

Shaking the dark topic from his mind with a violent shiver, he caught Georgia opening her mouth to speak.

"You're shaking like a leaf, Dick."