V. Georgia. Wednesday, December 2nd, 1942.

Georgia. Wednesday, December 2nd, 1942.

Georgia stirred. She rolled over and slowly blinked open her eyes. In front of her, Lew was passed out clutching a pillow. Comfortable as always. To her right, Dick was lying on his back and breathing steadily, red hair fluffed around messily.

Inhaling deeply, Georgia pushed herself up and off of her bedroll. Groping around the tent for her boots and coat, in the pre-dawn light, she swore quietly when her foot collided with the butt of Lew's carbine.

Finally ready and slightly awake, Georgia pushed the tent flap aside and walked out into the cold morning air. Finally, some quiet.

It had frosted hard overnight, and the ground crunched beneath Georgia's feet. In front of her, the sun was just beginning to rise. Smiling softly, she leaned against a tree and pulled out a cigarette. She breathed deeply, the cold air a welcome shock.

As she stood there, the sky changed from black to pale bluish-purple and was eventually filled with a vibrant rainbow as the sun emerged. She simply stood for a while, breathing deeply, and watching the world come to life. She pulled out a fresh pack of Lucky Strikes, took her lighter to the end of a cigarette, and took a long drag.

There was a rustling behind her, and Georgia whirled around.

"Sorry," Dick said as he emerged from the tent, "I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's alright," Georgia said. Dick walked up and stood a few feet from her. His hair was slightly nearer than it had been when he was asleep, and he was still wracked by the occasional shiver.

"Damn, let me put this out," she said, throwing it down and twisting it into the ground.

"Thanks," said Dick.. "It's a shame you had to waste it though."

"Oh please, I'm sure some of the other captains would prove extremely willing to help me acquire this particular commodity."

Dick smiled. "On another note, I would've thought a debutante such as yourself would sleep in a little later," he said.

"I would've thought your sense of humor only came around after coffee."

Dick huffed a small laugh, and Georgia smiled. The two sat there in companionable silence until Dick next spoke.

"In all seriousness, why are you up so early. We've got a while before we have to pack up camp."

Georgia sighed, and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "I like the quiet. I like being able to stop and just exist for a little bit. I always have."

Dick nodded. "I understand."

A few snowflakes began to drift down, and the frosted ground glittered in the morning light.

"You would, Red. Being from a farm and all-"

"And here I thought I was going to like you better than Nix-"

"You take that back right now-"

As Easy Company stirred to life, they were met with the soft laughter of the redheaded pair standing beneath a towering pine tree.

The camp was broken, and the battalion marched on. The final tally of the day was forty miles of rain, mud, and cursing everything the Lord had ever created. The tents were pitched, and Georgia made her appearance around nine-thirty.

"Hey," Nix said, "how's HQ?"

Georgia shrugged. "Same old, same old. I see you boys finally managed to get a fire going."