CHAPTER FOUR

"ane you're sure she's qualified" his face was pulled into a scrunch and he looked like he was about to pass out

"yes, harry she's qualified"

I had known Smera for over 10 years, she had always wanted to be a doctor. But her real dream was to write. So, she became a part time Doctor, part time writer and it suited her, she was so happy when she wrote. I met her at high school. We seemed to stick together for everything, we where partners for everything. And she knew all about me, and I knew all about her. I also happened to trust her with my life.

"you should have gone to the hospital" Smera poked and stabbed at Harry's back, sewing up the huge gash in his shoulder. "who ever did this definitely wanted your spinal cord, that would have been nasty"

"thanks S, for this" she looked up at me and stared at me for a second, obviously not happy with me picking harry off the streets. She made a final stab and a twist making Harry almost scream. I knew she did that on purpose.

"I'll be back next week to remove them, try not to do too much that could cause stress and sleep on your back, harry can I have a word with Annie" and with that harry left the room, grunting as he moved a shoulder. I smiled at him leaving, not taking my eyes off him as he left the room. I turned around to see Smera staring at me. Shooting daggers through her brown eyes and into mine.

"you're so irresponsible Annie"

"Smera come on he won't hurt me!"

"a random man off the street, beat up. What about your brother?"

"he has nothing to do with this S!"

"I'm just trying to look out for you" her tone had softened and was back to the Smera I knew.

"I know Smera"

She opened her arms and we stood there in a hug for a moment. She packed her bags up and headed towards the door. Smera was the only friend I have that's real. That's honest.

"stay for dinner?" I questioned.

"I'd love to, but I have a shift now Annie" I pouted, and she giggled. "see you later sis"

The door shut behind her and I collapsed on the sofa, letting the soft fabric engulf me. I was peaceful for a moment until I heard my phone vibrate.

Smera: be careful, and call me if you need me for anything

I smiled, replying with an "I love you" and a "thank you." But I was interrupted by a thud and an angry scream. I shut off my phone and chucked it on the sofa, running towards the hysteria.

"Harry, STOP!" I was trying to pull him back from the bed, he was frantically punching it, I worried about his stitches. He seemed angry, and I wondered what, in that short time had made him so infuriated. He turned to me, that familiar evil in his eye. I flinched as he rose his hand. Shutting my eyes, I prepared for the contact, but instead I felt a hand on my arm, and shortly after two arms around me, one stroking my hair.

"Ane, I'm so sorry" he whispered, resting his chin on my head. "just know that I'd never hurt you ok?"

"ok" I sniffled, that moment brought back many memories that aren't exactly my favourite.

"can I call you Annie?"

I just nodded, as he rocked me back and forth, I had started crying at one point. And for some reason, no matter how hard I tried it wouldn't stop. Despite Harrys outburst I still felt safe in his arms, and somehow, I knew he would never intentionally hurt anyone.

"common love it's late" I glanced over to the clock, and Harry was right, it had just gone 9. He placed his hand on the small of my back and pushed me lightly towards my bed. "I'll sleep on the floor ok?" he spoke softly as I climbed into bed.

"Harry sleep on the other side, and sleep on your back remember"

"ok love" I felt his weight drop down the other side of the bed, and I felt myself move towards him slightly, I was on my back and I could see his outline doing the same, we both stared at the ceiling. "Annie, why aren't you scared of me? I would have feared me by now"

"I was used to it at one-point Harry"

"Who?"

"my brother" the silence that followed was deathly.

"Annie?" I smiled at how sweet he was being.

"Yes Harry"

"can I move closer"

"sure bub" and before I knew it, I was eye level with his armpit, he tapped his chest and I rested my head on it, he linked his arm around my back and held me close. It was in this moment I realized I hadn't changed to my pajamas. I couldn't care though. Harrys chest was soft, and I lifted my hand, so it rested on it. I felt safe. I led there for about half an hour, eyes closed hoping for sleep, I was just dosing of when harry began to talk...

Harrys P.O.V:

She looked peaceful as she slept, and I felt terrible for the two times I had snapped at her.

"I don't know what happens to me I'm happy one minute, then all I need is a little something to upset me and I just change" I was whispering, staring at the ceiling as I stroked her hair. "what I did today wasn't acceptable, I know that. I won't let it happen again and whoever that brother is of yours, will never hurt you when I'm here."

The thing was with Annie, although I've only known her for a day, I feel at calm. Feel at peace. I feel at home here.