Chapter 5 : Knight

We drove out of the city and the roads became emptier. Soon, we turned towards an even emptier road. It was around forty minutes later when we arrived in front of tall iron gates supported by stone pillars with lamps at each side of the gate. The car stopped right in front of the gate and it automatically rolled open as if it was expecting us. As we drove further in past acres of grass and trees; the house came into view. I stiffened as I looked at the mansion, noticing that only certain areas were lit inside it. I could tell there was a large circle in the center right in front of the mansion, seeming like a mini garden of leaves and flowers.

We drove around the center garden and parked when the side of the car faced the front of the mansion. I got out of the car first since my side of the car was the closest to the front doors and started walking towards the large French doors.

As I turned the door knob, the door opened without resistance. I entered the foyer area and my heels clicked against the marble flooring. The design of this place matched similarly to the penthouse. Minimal and classically simple, but gorgeous nonetheless.

Ares suddenly stepped in front of me with worry in his eyes, stopping me from walking further into the mansion past the large open foyer.

"Wait, Leaf. He must have planned my timing since he told me to drop everything and to go to the penthouse. But you still have a choice. It's still not too late for you to stay out. I need you to be absolutely sure."

I gave Ares a smile to ease his concern and patted his shoulder. "Viking, what choice can I make right now without knowing anything? Certainly not an informed one."

"You know enough, don't you think?" Ares sighed. "You already know all of this involves Project Erase. Shouldn't that deter you away? You didn't have a choice to be dragged into Project Erase the first time, but you have a choice this time. Think, Leaf, do you really want to get pulled into something involving Erase?"

"Viking, I'm not going to tuck my tail and run away every time someone mentions Project Erase. I'll let you know my decision on whether I want to get involved or not after I get some information. After being dragged into this mess and threatened at gunpoint to do someone else's bidding, I'm owed at least some kind of explanation, don't you think?"

"He wants you to make a decision first."

"Well, that's too bad for him."

Ares gave me a small smirk. "So much sass, Leaf." He stepped to the side, unblocking me from the staircase that led upstairs. "Go up the stairs and turn right, the first door on your right will be his office. He's expecting you."

Without another word, I took off my shoes, stepped onto the hardwood flooring and walked towards the staircase.

*

I stood right in front of the door that Ares said would be the office and prepared myself. Knocking twice out of simple politeness, I heard an answer and opened the door wide as I took a step inside. I looked at the man in front of me, the one that gifted me the small gold leaf necklace that I always wore on my neck.

Even preparing myself and knowing in my mind that I would be meeting him again, I was still taken off guard by the golden gaze that stared right back at me. I had thought about so many things I wanted ask and say to him, but none came to my mind as I stared into his eyes and was unable to believe that he was a few paces away from me.

He was sitting on the front edge of his large desk; his long legs were stretched out in front of him towards my direction and crossed at the ankles. His brawny arms were crossed over his strong chest, his dark brown hair was a little longer at the top and swept back to clearly reveal his face. The last time I saw him was six years ago when he was seventeen. He was a year older than me, but sometimes the glimpses of heavy burden in his eyes when his impassive mask chipped has often made him seem much older.