Chapter 6 : Decision

The room across from Lucien's turned out to be a two-story home library. I walked inside to take a peek. The second floor was open to the first floor and it was mainly a continuous balcony while the walls were shelves filled with books. If you walked further into the room, there was a staircase that led directly to the bottom floor of the library.

I slipped a softcover textbook-sized book off the selves without looking at what it was and left the room, not wanting to get caught by Lucien that I was wandering around in his house. As I made my way downstairs, I saw that Ares was talking on the phone and his back was facing me. Clutching the softcover textbook with both hands, I swung it towards the back of Ares' head.

Ares cursed while grabbing his head and turned around to face me.

I could feel my fury boiling in my veins as I looked at my brother.

"You should be thanking me that I chose a softcover book," I narrowed my eyes at him and hissed. "You know exactly why I hit you and you know you deserved it."

He returned my narrowed gaze with frustration glittering in his own. "He told me not to tell you anything."

"And you listened? You could have at least secretly told me that he was alive and doing okay. Or you could've given me his location and I could've said it was a coincidence if I ever saw him. Any info would've been much greatly appreciated."

Ares tried to steal the textbook that became a weapon in my hands, but I maneuvered it away from his reach and smacked the side of his head. He let out another swift curse as he got hit again.

"Try again, I dare you."

Ares clenched his jaw, conceding to defeat. "Fine, Leaf. I'm sorry. I should have told you."

I didn't answer him. Instead, I dropped the book on the ground, quickly slipped on my heels then walked out the door in anger.

*

The entire ride home was quiet. Ares seemed like he wanted to talk to me, but he kept the silence since he knew that I didn't want to break it. I stared out the window at the night sky as Ares drove, my anger slowly fading as I became too emotionally exhausted.

*

As I entered the penthouse, Ares also entered after me and I found it odd. I assumed this penthouse was Lucien's since the interior design of the place was similar to the mansion, so I thought Ares was going to head to his place after dropping me off.

"Aren't you going home?" I asked him while I slipped off my heels and turned around to look at him.

"Do you need me to stay, Leaf?" Ares looked at me with concern in his eyes, eyebrows drawn towards the center and lips in a frown.

I paused for a moment and gave him a tired smile as I spoke, "have a drink with me."

Ares didn't question me and simply accepted my suggestion. "Sure. I'll go find the alcohol and you find the cups."

I watched as Ares walked a different route than to the kitchen.

Ares understood my reluctance to speak and knew that all I needed was someone to be beside me. I fully knew that we weren't in any way biological siblings and we definitely bicker because of little things, but at times like this, he was always my reliable shoulder to lean on. It didn't matter that others may say that blood is thicker than water. Perhaps in their situation that saying may be true, but for me, Ares was my entire family.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed two cups, then pulled out two bar stools from under the hanging edge of the kitchen island countertop. Ares came and sat down on the other chair next to me. I took off my blazer and placed it on the counter within my reach.