Chapter 9

The sun was up when Sarah opened her eyes. The doors to her cell would open in fifteen minutes. It was clockwork. She changed out of the plain pajamas into plain clothes. A dark blue t-shirt and shorts. At least she thought they were dark blue. Her hearing aids were still gone, they didn't get her new ones. Sarah finished brushing her teeth and looked at her curls— she had taken out the braids when the new growth at the top came in. They only gave her water with basic shampoo and conditioner but she learned to make it work. Sarah stared at yourself in the mirror, gently tugging at a honey blonde curl that landed in front of her face.

"My name is Sarah Elise Rogers, I'm... not an adult yet. My mother is Elise Lanns and my father is Steven Grant Rogers. I don't know what either of them look like now. My mom was a graduate student and my dad was, is Captain America. From Brooklyn and Wales? I have blonde hair like him. And his super soldier abilities. I'm a genius like my mother. They killed her when I was seven. I have diamond skin. That's from neither of them but from HYDRA. They are the bad guys. I trust one person at HYDRA, Jamie. I have an Uncle Nat? And Aunt Clint? Clint is married and I have two cousins named... I have two cousins. They're going to wipe me today, like they do everyday after breakfast. I will remember this," Sarah whispered the last bit as she clutched the sink.

Like it always did, the door opened and she stepped out. There were no guards in this area, there never were because it wasn't necessary. Sarah was the only potential deviant. She walked the hallways stopping at Pietro's room first. He raced over to meet her, almost knocking her over with his speed. She rolled her eyes and continued walking till they both approached Wanda's room.

The twins were always smiling at each other. They were always smiling at Sarah too, which she returned wanting to have at least two people not be cruel. They took her under their wing as part of their family. She accepted despite wanting to yell how they volunteered to be experiments, she never had a choice from the day she was conceived.

Breakfast was dull and Sarah left the twins to go get wiped. She had stopped fighting it. It was easier to do as they wanted, kill who they wanted and then not remember. They tended not to make the wipings as bad when she did that. She sat down and placed the mouth guard in her mouth. For a few hours she wouldn't remember anything. She'd be 001. But before she went to bed she would remember Sarah Elise Rogers. She had to.

Tony's Iron Man suit ran into the forcefield of the hideout.

"Shit!"

"Language!" Steve yelled as his motorcycle zipped between trees. "JARVIS, what's the view from upstairs?"

"The central building is protected by some kind of energy shield. Strucker's technology is well beyond any other HYDRA base we've taken."

"Language?" Tony questioned.

"Leave it alone, Stark," Nat said as she took down a man.

Thor took out as many soldiers as he could. "Loki's scepter must be here. Strucker couldn't build this defense without it."

"No wait a second. No one else gonna deal with the fact that Cap just said 'language'?"

"I know... just slipped out."

Steve's voice was tense. Something about the tone telling Tony that he actually should drop it. They fought their way to Loki's scepter and returned to the quinjet. S.H.I.E.L.D. had been rebuilt, right now it was just the Avengers but they were slowly recreating every part of it. It was taking time as the vetting process was now extremely crucial. Not many people knew Nick was currently alive— that information still too sensitive.