Chapter 22

The team landed amongst a snowstorm, the mountain eerily quiet. They approached the large double doors, locked. They weren't opening even after Tony blasted at them.

"I've got this."

Sarah pressed the button on her pinky. Her glove heated up until a large diamond blade came out, more fine tip like a pick. The door screeched as Sarah drew a large circle, cutting through the door. She kicked it hard and the metal fell in. Hissing through the pain, Sarah punched off the diamond pick.

"That," Tony pointed to Sarah's hand. "Impressive, G.I."

"Thanks."

The base seemed too quiet as they all walked through, Sarah and Bucky leading the way. Almost as if there was no need to be on high alert. Bucky pulled Sarah along when he noticed she had froze staring at her old cell. The others looked in as they walked past. There were still books in there, a stripped-down bed, and a prominent blood stain on the floor making Steve think about what she had told him and Sam.

"I've got heat signatures," Tony said.

"How many?" Steve asked.

"Uh, one."

They entered the room where he had read the signatures. The cryo containers were empty. The lights came on and they could all see Zemo in some containment unit. Steve threw his shield at it hard but it just bounced off the unit and into his hand.

"The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets," Zemo said.

"Bet I can get through it," Sarah said.

"Oh, over time you probably could 001. Or is it Gemstone now? It's all in the same isn't it."

"You killed innocent people in Vienna to get to us," Steve said.

"I've thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you, followed you."

"All this for Sokovia?"

"Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No, all this because I made a promise. I lost everyone and so will you."

A screen above the chamber clicked to life. They all watched security footage timestamped 1991.

"I know that road," Tony said.

Soon a car rolled into view, crashing into a tree, quickly followed by the Winter Soldier— Bucky's Winter Soldier— on a motorcycle. They all watched as Bucky grabbed Howard Stark by the back of his hair, the recognition of Bucky as well as fear clear on his face. Bucky punched Howard three times in the face and the man dropped, Tony's mother— Maria— screaming.

Tony's jaw clenched as he watched Bucky drag his father back into the car and prop him in the driver's seat before walking around choking his mother and shooting out the security camera. Tony dropped to his knees. The minute his knees hit the ground, the winter soldiers descended.

Catching them all off guard, since they were distracted. They all tried to regain their footing and Sarah noticed Tony still hadn't moved as a soldier stalked to him. Bucky shot the soldier between the eyes, where he couldn't recover. Sarah grabbed Tony and carried him to the corner.

"Uncle Tony, Uncle Tony, I know how it feels but we don't have time for this now. You can punch Uncle Jamie later but we need you out there."

Tony nodded slowly and Sarah smiled as the Iron Man mask came down. They all kept fighting. T'Challa looked to see Zemo slip out of the chamber and left to stalk him. The contained space made it harder to use gunfire from Bucky or missiles from Tony but it did make it easier for close combat. And with the lack of access to large helicopters and vehicles to throw, the Avengers were able to tag team soldiers until they had all been knocked out. Steve made the executive decision to kill them, Ross and the Task Force would have to be happy with the five they got. They all walked back to the jet, not talking. When the jet got into the sky, Tony went to lunge for Bucky— Steve grabbing him by the arm.