Transitioning

“I thought you said to never have a shirt off in public.”

It was the weekend so The Flynn-Fletchers and Garcia-Sharpios decided to bring Phineas to the swimming pool so he can begin to learn how to swim.

“I know,” Lawrence said. “But that’s for every day. When you’re swimming it’s fine to have only swimming shorts. For males anyway.”

Phineas looked at the orange shorts with white splashes that looked like island flowers. “Can I still have a shirt?”

“Sure,” Lawrence said. “As long as you take it off before going into the water. If you still don’t like having your chest showing, we can get you a swim shirt you can wear in the water.”

Phineas nodded, taking the shorts, deciding he would wear the white shirt he had on his back when he left Doofenshmirtz. He didn’t want to ruin the ones his new family brought him.

And yes. He was told about their suspicions about him being their long lost son. He said he would think about it, since he wasn’t sure if he wanted to take the risk of being pushed aside because he wasn’t actually blood related.

Phineas came down the stairs once he was changed and they piled in the car. He looked to the other side of the street to see Isabella and her Mom also getting into their car in their swimwear.

"Come on Phineas!" Isabella shouted.

He took a deep breath. He'd never seen so much water at one time in his whole life! His shirt has already been disposed of so with one last deep breath, he walked into the water via the slope that lowered into the water.

"Why is it cold!" He could help but yell. 

Isabella laughed. "People swim to cool off during the hotter times of year. Don't worry, you'll get used to it! Just stay in the shallow areas till you can swim well."

Lawrence was the primary teacher of Phineas with Ferb assisting as they taught him how to properly swim. He caught on quick, but he would still need to build the mussels to be able to swim without constant close supervision.

Luckily, they had lots of time before summer started and the pools would be more full.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Phineas hid behind Linda as she talked to an adult. They were at Ferb's school. Phineas expressed interest in finding out what school was and they figured shadowing Ferb for a day or two could help him be more prepared when fall came and he would be enrolled. 

Phineas was excited when he found out, but now, it felt wrong to not have the Secret Agent Platypus at his side. His head knew he was safe, but his heart was racing.

A woman knelt down to Phineas' height. "Hello Phineas! I'm Miss. Periwinkle. Ferb's teacher. I look forward to having you here every so often."

Phineas nodded to show he understood and Ferb was called to the office.

He smiled at Phineas upon arriving and took his hand, ready to lead him to the classroom alongside their teacher.

After the typical talk with parents promising to come back like a parent would when their child started Pre-school, the brothers were being led to the classroom by their teacher.

They entered and the substitute left the class in the teachers hands. She brought Phineas to the front letting Ferb stay next to him.

"Everyone, this is Phineas. A friend of Ferb. He'll be with us today."

"Hi Phineas!" The class greeted. Phineas let a smile come on his face.

"How is he so smart!" Miss. Periwinkle asked the Flynn-Fletcher adults while the two boys played a little longer on the small playground. "His reading is High school level. Not to mention his drawing!"

Linda smiled, nervous. "Well, as we told you before, he was nearly isolated by a Mad scientist his whole life. The only things he did was read and draw. The person responsible for his isolation didn't want him knowing anything good about the outside world so he only had textbooks."

The teacher took a breath before nodding. "I guess it makes sense. Nothing to do but draw and study your whole life, you're bound to know a lot of things."

"And I'm sure he can learn a lot more," Linda said, looking at Phineas, proud. "As soon as he masters social skills."

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

"Are you enjoying your slushy dog?" A nice blond guy Candace was looking at weirdly asked.

Phineas nodded. "It's great! I've never had anything like it."

The blond seemed to be surprised. "Really? Well, feel free to come get one at any time."

Someone walked up to the counter and the boy went to go help him.  to go help him. “Bye Jeremy!” Candace said after him.

They went to the mall to get Phineas some shoes rather than the flip flops he was using before. He took the social interactions well, considering he was constantly tense. Most people ignored them, to everyone’s relief. 

Phineas continued to enjoy his food, everyone else eating their own, when they noticed things were getting heated between the blond and the customer. Phineas listened and released the man was speaking Romanian while Jeremy was trying to tell him he didn’t speak his language.

Phineas came up to the man, ignoring his family’s confused statements. “Nu vorbește română. Pot traduce pentru tine!”

The man looked at Phineas, surprised before telling him something and Phineas turned to Jeremy. “He’ll have a burger and large fries.”

Jeremy, and the family, all seemed surprised, but Jeremy then smiled. “Alright coming right up! That’ll be $9.43.”

After more of the exchange, the family left for a clothing store.

“How did you know that Language?” Candace asked.

“I think you’re forgetting how much time I had on my hands,” Phineas told her. “I know a lot of languages.”