Eighteen

"Liam?" Farrah leaned over to look at the boy closer. He'd fallen asleep with his head laid on Tania's shoulder after devouring his meal and apple juice.

"He's knocked out." She chuckled as she looked down at him. His mouth was slightly open and his shirt was now covered with food. It had been an eventful night despite her reluctance to come.

"I'll take him out to the truck. Flint will pay." Farrah jumped from the table, her assumption causing Tania to frown. Although it was considered chivalrous for the man to pay, volunteering someone else came off entitled.

She scooped the boy up and he quickly buried his head in her neck to continue his nap. Looking up, Tania wasn't surprised to see Weston standing behind Farrah.

"I'll walk her out seeing as its pitch black outside. Be back in a second." Leaning over to kiss her, Tania turned her head so that his lips landed on the side of her mouth. Confusion was clear on his face but she gave him a tight lipped smile as if to dismiss the action.

"You folks all done?" The waitress interrupted. Weston and Farrah made their way outside, leaving Tania and Flint by themselves to take care of the bill.

"Yeah, we'll split the bill." She smiled at the waitress before leaning down to grab her purse.

"No need to worry. I got it." Flint quickly gave the woman his card and shooed her away.

"I can pay for Weston and I. It's fine." Tania felt bad taking his money especially considering their meals were pretty expensive. Weston had multiple dishes while her meals were priced higher.

"You shouldn't be paying at all. A real man always pays for his woman." The look in his eyes showed his clear disdain for Weston. He stared at her longingly for a moment before dipping his head and pushing his hand through his hair.

"Unless she is willing to pay for her own portion like the independent woman she is." Tania laid her chin in her hand as she placed her arm on the table. At her words his lips turned up in a smile and he tilted his head at her.

"Independent woman, huh?"

"Yup. Fully independent and successful." She cocked her head the opposite way, her own smile making its way to her lips.

"And beautiful." The words were spoken as if they were meant to be said in his head. He muttered a curse before chuckling as he ran a hand down his face.

"Careful, Littlefield. You've got a girlfriend." She teased.

"Not after tonight." His sudden seriousness caused her smile to soften. There was a determined look in his eyes as he watched her thoughtfully. She could almost see the gears turning in his head.

"Tonight?"

"Yes. Tonight I've realized what I really want and now that it's within my grasp, I won't let it slip away again."

———