༻Trapped in the past༺

ELLA'S POV

My past brought me many joyful moments. My drawing competitions at the elementary school when I won the awards in a row or the day when I got my first acoustic guitar as a teenager, but my most precious memory was about another thing, about a snow covered mountain summit that touched the starry sky beyond the clouds... My father, Alexander Evinger adored the wonders of nature, especially the snowy mountains that woven the continents like the spider's web. He climbed up six of the seven highest summits of Earth in recent years. The Mount Puncak, the Vinson Massif, the Mount Elbrus, the Kilimanjaro, the Denali and finally the Aconcagua. However, the jewel of the Himalayas was still on his bucket list. The Everest...

"Ella..." my father's voice brought me back to reality and I opened my eyes. We were standing in the west wing of the airport in Kathmandu, waiting for our suitcases to arrive, but as soon as I looked at my father I noticed that we are waiting only for mine. "Have you finished the meditation?" he joked, making me smile.

"I never meditate..."

"I do." he said proudly, then he countinued the conversation. "Almost every single day, sometimes for an entire hour. You have no idea how good it is for my soul and my health."

"For your health? Why don't you do some sport instead of meditation? Run a few miles in a park or something like that." I suggested as I adjusted the tangled locks of my silver grey hair behind my ear, then I glanced at my wristwatch with sleepy gaze. I was so exhausted and this wasn't surprising, since I couldn't sleep during the almost fourteen hours long flight.

"As for the running..." my father started with a grin on his face as he pointed toward the luggage conveyor belt. At first, I didn't understand what he is talking about, but as soon as I noticed my suitcase on the luggage conveyor belt as it was moving further... 'Shit!'

The first stars appeared on the May sky when we crossed the threshold of one of the most beautiful hotels in Kathmandu. As soon as I entered my room I submerged in the pleasures of a refreshing jasmine scented bubble bath, then finally I climbed into bed to rest. Why did we leave the most beautiful city of England and travel to Nepal? We had only one reason; To conquer the Mount Everest. My father wanted me to be part of the amazing moment when his big dream finally come true and I was more than happy to fulfill his request.

Next morning our way lead us to the town of Lukla where we had a chance to meet Robert Hall, the leader of our expedition who was also the head of Adventure Consultants company, then after a long and pleasant conversation we began our way among rocks and pine forests. Although, the journey was long, there was no shortage of view and adventure. We we spent time in the Tengboche Monastery, paid a visit at the Climbers' Memorial, then we joined the Sherpas who led a herd of yaks carrying food and warm blankets per caravan. The ringing of tiny bells were echoing in the valley as the cool breeze crossed the blue sky like a hawk. Anyway, the magical aura of the mountains captured my heart, then finally we reached the Everest Base Camp from where we could admire the beauty of the setting sun from a height of 5,364 meters.

"Congratulations! Welcome to Base Camp!" our leader said with a big smile on his face, looking back at us, then he pointed toward the tents at different parts of the camp. "We got the United Nations here this year. Got the IMAX team, South Africans... And right up here in the best spot of all..." he pointed toward one of the biggest tents. "We have the Adventure Consultants Base Camp." as soon as we entered the sea blue tent the base camp manager offered me a mug of hot tea. I gratefully accepted it, then I took a sip of the delicious drink. We spent the rest of the evening at the camp, sitting around the campfire and talking with the other members of our team. As it turned out, I wasn't the only one who was about to climb up one of the highest mountains for the first time in her life, so all my worries vanished. As the first rays of the rising sun started shining on the fresh snow the preparation began. "This is Caroline Mackenzie, our team doctor." Robert introduced the young physician. After a quick greeting she started the briefing.