༻Crossroads༺

At the dawn of the following day the next chapter of my life began. Although, I didn't know what I am going to do with my life yet. To be honest, in those moments I didn't even care. I decided to spend the last days of my journey in Kathmandu and I did not regret my decision, because I got a chance to get to know the culture of Nepal. Firstly, I visited the most popular markets where I bought a few small souvenirs and tasted the local food specialties. Later I visited the attractions of downtown and finally I found myself in an ancient monastery. Its huge hall was filled with the scents of incense and fresh flowers. I spent long minutes among the monks, while I was admiring the beauty of the monastery. Although, my footsteps were echoing, the peaceful silence was broken only by the whisper of the gentle summer breeze. It was the peace I always wanted. At the end of my walk in the monastery I returned to its west wing where I followed others' example and I also lit the tip of an incense stick, then I put it in the incense holder, paying my respects. I was silently looking at the swirling smoke as I deepened in the sea of ​​memories, but in the next moment an unfamiliar yet friendly voice pulled me back into the present.

"The incense represents our mortality. Life is as tenuous and fleeting as a wisp of sweet smelling smoke..." he said as I glanced at him. A man was standing next to me. Seeing his facial features, I instantly realized that he is Asian, yet his English was perfect.

"Wise thought..." I stated with a friendly smile, then almost instinctively I adjusted the locks of my silver grey hair to cover the scars on the right side of my face. Meanwhile, the man was looking at me and after a few moments of silence he continued our conversation.

"There is a place not so far from here, called Kamar Taj, where you can be healed. That is, if you are enough persistent and if you are ready to make sacrifices in order to your recovery."

"What are you talking about?"

"About your face..." he answered. For a brief moment I had the hope that maybe he is telling the truth, but my hope vanished so soon. During the months following the tragic accident, I had consultation with many surgeons all over the world, hoping that they can free me from the scars, but I was disappointed each time, because their answer was always the same. 'I'm so sorry, but what you are asking for is impossible...' "Come with me." the man continued as he turned around, heading straight for the huge gates of the monastery.

"But I don't even know who you are." I said almost in a whisper, then the man stopped and looked back at me.

"Wong."

"Wong... Just Wong?"

"Yes. And you?" he asked back almost immediately.

"Ella."

"Just Ella?"

"Umm... Rosella Evinger." I answered as a friendly smile appeared on Wong's face, then he continued his way toward the gates without any word. At first I hesitated, because I had no idea what to do, but eventually I realized that I have nothing to lose, so finally I followed Wong and we left the monastery. Afterwards, we went to Kamar Taj and during the walk I told Wong about my story. Although, I met him only minutes ago, but I felt that I can trust him. This was a big thing, since it was not easy to gain my trust.

The setting sun almost reached the horizon when we entered Kamar Taj. Wong told me that its history goes back to ancient times. The beauty of the building was indescribable. The pillars carved from alder wood, the many kind of antique furniture, the fragile artworks, the thangka paintings on the walls, they were all part of the magical aura of Kamar Taj.

"Tea?" Wong asked me politely, breaking the silence and handing me a cup of hot tea.

"Thank you!" of course, I accepted the tea and the taste of it was even more delicious than its smell. As a British, I loved all the flavors of a wide selection of teas, especially the lavender tea. However, the tea I was holding in my hand instantly became my favorite. "It's so delicious!"