𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

FOUR LEGGED FRIENDS

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     Iphigenia loved having a dog in the house. It was almost like having a best friend who followed you around everywhere.

     The teenage witch had adopted a pet during her first year, a black cat she named Lord Orestes, but the feline preferred to be untouched and unbothered. Whereas Snuffles would have preferred to spend every remaining day of summer in Iphigenia's arms.

     Snuffles was the name Elizabeth had given the new family dog. Iphigenia didn't understand the context of the name nor why her mother had looked so smug upon bestowing the name upon the animal. Although, she did find it odd how quickly the stray took to the name. As if he had always gone by the name.

     Despite Orestes having a tendency to hate anyone other than Iphigenia, the cat had grown use to having a dog around. Or -- at the very least -- learned to ignore the new animal.

     It seemed the only member of the household who could not stand Snuffles was the Black family house elf, Kreacher.

     Like every other pure-blood family, Elizabeth and Iphigenia Black had inherited the house elf. Kreacher had been a member of an ancient bloodline of elves that had served the House of Black with fanatical loyalty. So much so that he had refused to ever leave the wife and daughter of Regulus Black. Never mind how much money or clothing items they offered the elf.

     After the death of Walburga Black, Elizabeth had moved herself and her daughter into 12 Grimmauld Place. Much to the glee of Kreacher. He didn't even mind that Elizabeth had completely torn down and rebuilt the ancient family home.

     The house elf did mind that the widow allowed in a dog.

     Iphigenia had found the house elf jabbing an iron poker at Snuffles. Chanting words that made no sense.

     "Kreacher will kill you this time! Kreacher will get you! Oh, yeas he will," the house elf had been screeching until Iphigenia had intervened.

     Another time, Iphigenia had come home from the bookstore to find the house elf attempting to pour a potion down her dogs throat. Later, she would find the potion to be Deadly Nightshade.

     By then Iphigenia had demanded to bring Snuffles to the bookshop everyday and never let the dog out of her sight. Much to the pleasure of the big black dog. He had grown quite an attachment to the young girl. Iphigenia had even found the animal giving her affectionate glances at odd times. Some days she swore she saw a tear or two fall down his dog-like eyes.

     Iphigenia was also happy about having a dog around because of the protection his presence brought. Something that she and her mother had grown quite concerned about. Because Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban prison. And no one knew why or how.

     Sirius Black was another lunatic uncle of Iphigenia's. The older brother to her father and the man who betrayed everyone.

     Of course, when you grow up as a pure-blood witch and within two families who were heavily involved in the Ten-Year Wizarding War you tend to find out some things about your family. Like how your uncle who use to host tea parties for you once tortured a witch to insanity. Or how another uncle — closed off and emotionless — had the loudest battle cry when he dueled against half-blood families.

     Not to mention the third uncle who blew up an entire Muggle street and killed twelve Muggle's landing him a spot in Azkaban.

     So when Iphigenia's mom told her about her uncle's escape she was on red alert. Lucius and Severus never gave an inclination to hurting Iphigenia and both had always spoiled her rotten. Not to mention there was no proof they ever fell so far from grace to be murderers.