𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

THE HOGWARTS ODDITY

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     To the staff and ghosts of Hogwarts, Iphigenia Black was — for the lack of a better word — an oddity. Her Metamorphmagus ability aside, the girl was just plain weird.

     After two years at Hogwarts it was quite evident that the Gryffindor refused to ever follow the status quo. And she did so without even a hint of contempt from the other students.

     The heads of houses were nonplussed anytime they walked into their student's common rooms and would see the Gryffindor studying amongst Ravenclaws, laughing with Hufflepuff's, or lounging around with Slytherin's. Practically every school rule was broken by the girl who could be seen catching breakfast with her cousin at the emerald green and silver table or finishing up a dinner discussion with students clad in blue and bronze house colors. 

     Simply put, Iphigenia Black was loved and adored by everyone. She was kind and friendly to everyone despite blood, political, or economic status. The staff, ghosts, and house elves were all treated with the same level of respect by the Metamorphmagus. And she was always able to catch the admiring eye of even the most bitter of hearts.

     It helped that the girl was uncharacteristically because -- as everyone in the Black family were.  She was also charming, smart, and a natural polymath. Her abilities in all subjects of life coming seamlessly to the third year.

     She knew that because of her Uncle Severus, head of Slytherin house and Potions Professor, she had a leg up amongst the professors at Hogwarts. If it weren't for her Uncle Lucius, who was best friends with Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge, Iphigenia may of never been respected by most of the students at Hogwarts who tended to balk at the Black surname.

     But, it was because of her last name and connection to a certain prison escapee, as well as a preference of the well-liked girl, that had Minerva McGonagall asking for a word with Iphigenia the morning before her first day of term.

     "You asked to see me, Professor?" asked the blue haired Gryffindor as she entered the Transfiguration professor's office.

     "I believe I asked to see you, not you and your cat," Professor McGonagall said, peering over her square shaped spectacles, watching the girl skip through the office door, a black cat at her heels.

     "But you know how much Lord Orestes adores you," Iphigenia jested with a cheeky grin just as the cat had taken a graceful jump onto the professors desk.

     Fighting a smile, Professor McGonagall reached out a hand that the black tom cat more than willingly rubbed its head against. Iphigenia took it upon herself to sit in the chair opposite her professor and head of house, fixing her perfectly pressed uniform.

     "Was there something in particular you wished to speak about Professor?" Iphigenia asked respectfully.

     "Yes, actually, there was," said Professor McGonagall, petting Orestes — who had now taken his place in her lap —, and peering at Iphigenia with a sharp eye. "How are you Iphigenia?"

     "How am — what do you mean, Professor?" Iphigenia asked perplexed.

     "I mean just that, how are you doing?" Professor McGonagall queried, sitting back in her office chair. "You are not only starting you extra curricular classes today but some of your fourth year courses as well. Next year you will be taking your O.W.L's which will mean extra homework this year. You are also one of our star Quidditch players for Gryffindor house. It is Mr. Wood's last year and he has listed to me the extensive practices he had curated to ensure a Gryffindor win for the House Cup.