Chapter 1

"Wren, you'll be paired up with Error, and Winston, you'll be paired with Ink."

The teacher continued pairing off the 6th graders with my fellow 2nd graders as Fan and I stood at the line's back. Fan seemed awfully excited to be meeting new people and wouldn't stop grabbing at my arm to shake my entire person.

"Finally, I'll get to meet someone who isn't as weird and creepy as you!" She said with a goofy grin. She was nearly jumping up and down with excitement when the teacher finally reached our end of the line.

"... and Chevron, you'll be paired with Fresh."

The teacher's suddenly pulled into a shocked one when she apparently noticed Fan for the first time. She began fiddling around with her fingers as she began stumbling on her words.

"I'm so sorry, Fan, but it looks like there just isn't anyone else to—"

Fan laughed and let go of my arm when the 90s child made his way closer to me.

Fan laughed again when she walked all the way across the room to what I could only assume was the most eye-catching person. "No, no, no. I've already got a buddy! I'll stick with Henrietta and this weird octopus guy!"

The teacher didn't oppose the idea quickly before Fan managed to gleefully pull her new friends out of the classroom to begin the school-touring. 

The other groups of children began making their way around the school with the older children, who, by the way, looked way more similar to each other than could ever be on accident, and Fresh and I were left alone in the classroom except for Onion and some guy named Dream. 

Fresh looked at me with raised eyebrows and a frown, as if he was disappointed that I was his partner. I looked at his with lowered eyebrows and tried to smile, but I couldn't bring myself to lie like that. My face dropped back to normal, and Fresh looked away for a moment. 

 "So, kid, where do you want to go first? You look really new, so you must be buggin' out at this totally radical educational facility," he said with a funny-sounding accent before spinning towards me with a goofy smile. "Stay in school; don't do drugs!" A wave of fluorescent colors washed over him, and a guitar riff played out of nowhere. While I was rubbing the excessive color from my eyes, I laughed. 

"Colorful. You're very colorful. What's with the glasses?" I blinked a few times to get the remainder of the color out of my vision so everything would go back to its natural, monochromatic hue. 

"Oh, these? I wear 'em because I like 'em. Like I wear this bodacious jacket!" He flaunted his jacket. "But tell me, we've got the cafeteria, the auditorium, the basement, the rest of the classrooms, the arts and crafts room... I've spent literally more than half of my life in this building, so I know where everything is!"

So many options. 

"What's an.... arts? It is like ants? But with an R? Adult-Oriented movie ants?" 

 Fresh's fun smile suddenly dropped. "You don't know what arts and crafts are? Wowza, dude, I can't even--Let's go there first!"