Chapter 3

"I can't believe that you don't know what arts are!! EE! Do you want me to explain them to you?" 

Ink's eyes were wide with excitement; his hands balled into fists drawn close to his chest. He was bouncing up and down in anticipation of my answer. 

His enthusiasm was a little off-putting, so I looked up at Fresh to see how he reacted to everything. Fresh had his hands in his pockets and a sucker in his mouth. The letting on his glasses--which used to display the term "YOLO" in fluorescent colors--was now gone, leaving the glasses blacked out entirely. He seemed to notice that I was staring at him, and he looked down at. 

"Well, bro? Shouldn't leave my buddy Ink hanging like that, or he might throw up on ya." 

Ink seemed like he would explode if he didn't get a 'yes' in the next minute. 

"I guess I would like to know what art is?" I said, turning back towards the very artistic skeleton. 

Ink almost let out a screech of joy when I gave him my answer before picking me up and setting me down in one of the many empty desks. He pulled out a giant paintbrush from behind him and approached the whiteboard. 

Mr. Lilac struggled to protest but was shushed one more. 

Ink grabbed a roll of giant paper from one of those paper dispenser things and rolled it out across the whiteboard, keeping it in place by painting blobs vaguely resembling magnets at every corner. 

"Arts is EMOTION, my friend! It's creating an entire world of people! Of objects! Of places to visit! Art is telling a story!" He took the paintbrush and began making giant strokes across the paper, each being a different color despite Ink not dipping it in paint once. A pastel green, bright purple, hot pink, lemon yellow, deep ocean blue... Ink turned to me, several splotches of paint covering his face. "You can make anything with art! All you need is a touch of creativity and viola!" He slapped his hand against the painting, and several shapes and objects fell from it, crashing onto the floor. 

Mr. Lilac finally broke free from Winston when Winston seemed to be distracted by the magic art showing that Ink had displayed. The teacher cleared his throat, undid the ties that held him to the chair, stood up, and walked to the front of the class to confront Ink. 

"Look, Ink, you're a nice kid with an undoubted talent for art, but you really have to stop making a mess of my classroom." 

He pointed to where the objects had fallen. In their place were now several wet puddles of paint that brought out the other washed-out stains covering the floor. 

"Ink, I know that all you want to do is paint and be creative, but you really have to take responsibility for your actions and control yourself. This isn't the 1990s." 

Ink just looked up at Mr. Lilac with a blank expression before laughing. "Mr. Lilac! I have no idea what you're talking about, haha! How did I get here? I'm supposed to be giving a tour of the school to Winston!" 

The artist grabbed hold of his bag and waved for Winston to come with him. "Don't worry too much about Mr. Lilac, Winston, but now I've gotta show you where the cafeteria is." 

Winston frowned and crossed his arms but followed behind Ink. 

Fresh cleared his throat and said, "Well, bro, that's the Art's and Crafts room for ya. I think we should be heading towards the--" 

Suddenly, a loud, blaring siren began screaming through the hallways and classrooms. The sound reminded me so much of home, my real home, where I came from. The sirens screaming that someone's escaped, the sirens screaming that it was time to eat for the day. It felt so much like the sirens that screamed to hide the sound of someone getting killed to see if their serum worked. I didn't realize it until I felt Fresh's cold hand on my back, but I had curled into a ball on the floor. 

Fresh raised his voice but spoke calmly. "Change of plans; we need to go outside."

"Why?" 

"The fire alarm's going off."