Chapter 2

Fresh waited for me every time he took off down a hallway, and I refused to keep up with his pace. This was a school, after all, you weren't supposed to be running in the halls or something like that. 

Eventually, after taking several incorrect turns that I'm sure were on purpose, Fresh and I finally arrived at our destination: the Arts and Crafts room. The older kid had been describing arts to me on our way over, and he said something about his friend Ink, who really liked to play with colors. We now stood in front of the doorway, and I looked up at the sign off to the side that read: "Mr. Lilac's Classroom." 

"It's kind of funny that they made Mr. Lilac the art teacher." 

I laughed, even though I didn't quite understand the joke. 

"No, it's not that funny unless you've got a different sense of humor, which is totally fine, but Mr. Lilac is colorblind." 

I stopped laughing and turned over Fresh's words. I didn't get the joke, and Fresh wasn't laughing, so why did he use the word "funny" to describe the situation? I remained quiet, and Fresh remained quiet, though now he was looking at me with an odd expression--as if he was trying to figure me out or something. I looked at him again, and we stared at each other for a brief moment before the door swung open and evil chuckles echoed from the darkness. 

Fresh walked in front of me and entered the room, reaching the side and flipping a light switch. Suddenly, the entire room lit up, and I saw a grown man tied to a chair with Winston covering his mouth. Ink was on the other side of the room, grabbing bottles of paint and a few paintbrushes, as well as having a backpack filled with canvases. 

Fan was also in the room, standing behind Ink. She turned and noticed me and began waving. 

"Hello, Chevron! We found the arts and crafts room!" 

I walked into the room and took in the mess that was happening. "Fan? I thought you went with Henrietta?" 

"I DID go with Henrietta, but it turns out that she's just a creepy as you! Why aren't there any normal kids at this school?" She then sighed and looked at the ceiling. "Oh, Johnny, why did you leave me?" She looked back at me and smiled. "Oh! I gotta go! My partners just showed up!" 

Fan climbed over a few desks and brushed past me. I watched as she left Ink and Winston and joined a girl from our class with another skeleton with flowers all over them. 

"Ink, why are you stealing from Mr. Lilac again?" Fresh said. I turned my attention back to the (basically) armed robbery that was taking place in front of me and watched as Ink tensed up and drank a bottle of yellow paint. 

His eyes lit up as a huge smile spread across his face. "Fresh! Fresh! I made a new friend! I was showing him around while I told him about my love of colors, and he suggested that we take some paint! How great is that? I told him that since I steal from Mr. Lilac all the time, we could totally turn it into a group project! And it worked! I've never gotten this much paint before! And! And!" He leaned over the nearby sink and threw up some black goo.  

Mr. Lilac tried to say something, but Winston held his mouth shut with little to no effort. Winston craned his neck to stare at Ink. "Dude! You said that you'd keep the lights off! Why did you sell me out?! This was supposed to be a secret mission!" 

"Haha, what? I don't remember saying that, pft." Ink looked at Winston for a second before wiping the remaining goop from his mouth and looking at Fresh again. "Who's that, Fresh?" He pointed at me. 

Fresh adjusted his glasses, his bushy eyebrows relaxing. "This is my super sad homie-bro, Chev! He said that he doesn't know diddly about Arts and Crafts and--" 

Before he could even finish his sentence, Ink was smothering me. "What?! You don't know ANYTHING about the arts? OR CRAFTS?!" 

uh oh