Chapter 5.5

Three years earlier...

As my mother and I were having dinner in our quarters, I let my head fall on the table.

Okay.

I knew my father was in a meeting at the castle, but he hadn't come back yet, which worried us a lot.

To be honest, it was only because the atmosphere had become more and more strange lately, because of the disappearance of some servants.

What if he was next?

I mean, the drawbridge has been raised so nobody can go out at night...

Yeah, it's weird.

The one who worried me the most was Salazar.

Nobody had seen him for a week, except my father.

Maybe he was just sick?

As I tidied up my room, I saw a group of servants head towards our tower. Curious, I decided to go and see, and, as I reached for the door...

I heard a scream.

?!

I quickly went down the stairs and noticed my mom had been knocked out.

My eyes widened as I noticed the people that were next to my mom.

They're the ones that disappeared...!

And... their faces...! God...!

The only thing that could help me recognize them was their clothes. Otherwise, they'd just be some kind of... zombies with soulless red eyes.

I knew I had to do something.

I grabbed the crossbow that was on the wall.

"Get out of here before I shoot!"

They all let out the creepiest laugh I've ever heard, making me feel even more distraught.

These people... They look like they had been possessed...!

"Lucia... Get out of here...!" My mother ended up yelling as the servants knocked her out, starting to run towards me.

I cried, getting upstairs as fast as I could, locking myself in my room.

They started to slam it.

What should I do...!

I quickly grabbed a cloak and my satchel. I also took my diary.

When the door was about to get destroyed I grabbed my oil lamp, let them open the door, and launched it toward them, making them scream in pain.

Sorry, but I didn't have a choice...!

As they were burning, I passed through them and helped my mother go downstairs.

I activated the mechanism to open the passage behind my father's desk and started to go into the tunnel, still carrying her.

"Lucia, dear..."

She woke up...!

I quickly left my mom on the floor, noticing she wasn't feeling well at all.

"I can't go with you, I'm sorry..." She said as she brushed my cheek.

What...?

"What do you mean? I still can carry you if you're not feeling well, don't-"

"No. You're not the problem. " She said as she forced a smile.

"What they did to me... I'll die tonight."