How it happened

Ernest: Feeling down, Fernald?

Fernald: Mr. Denouement...? Did my stepdad send you here to arrest me?

Ernest: I prefer Ernest when I'm not at the hotel, if you don't mind. And I'm not here to arrest you. I am here to compliment you.

Fernald: Compli- Huh? But... You know about the fire-

Ernest: Of course I do, boy, everyone in V.F.D. knows. But I don't care. In fact, I think you did the right thing.

Fernald: *softly* Tell that to my fucked up hands...

Ernest: *ignores him* I think you showed the qualities that myself and my associates value in our work. Initiative, determination, lack of morality-

Fernald: I have morality!

Ernest: Yes, that's why all that's left of Gregor Anwhistle is a charred corpse in his crumbling office. 😒

Fernald: I- He- He deserved it! You should have heard him! He was crazy! It was the only way to stop him from going mad with power! He wanted to hurt people!

Ernest: And like I said, I believe you did the right thing. Gregor was unstable, far too unstable to be an asset anymore. Now about his work. What happened to it?

Fernald: ...Gone. All of it. All his research, his documents, and his sick experiments... All destroyed...

Ernest: I see... *notices something on the table* So tell me, Fernald, what does your stepdad think of this turn of events?

Fernald: He's not on my side I can tell you that... He kicked me out last week...

Ernest: Before the fire?

Fernald: *nods* ...We had a fight...

Ernest: Ah, I know how it feels to have... unsupportive family members.

Fernald: How'd you find me anyway? I didn't tell anyone where I was or what I did.

Ernest: I have connections and resources. And I came down here personally to give you a proposition.

Fernald: What kind?

Ernest: As I said, you show qualities that my associates and I find useful. *slides a business card over to him* On that card is an address for one of said associates. He's hiring for his theatre troupe. I'm not saying you have to go, it's up to you. But seeing as Captain Widdershins won't take kindly to you coming home, you've destroyed your career as a marine biologist, and you've been kicked out of the organization for murder and arson... Am I correct in assuming you have no place left otherwise?

Fernald: 😓 ...Yes...

Ernest: And your hands, what are you doing about that?

Fernald: I have some money saved up. I'm gonna get them amputated...

Ernest: Good, you should do that before trying for the position I'm offering.

Fernald: ... You're a fire-starter, aren't you?

Ernest: *nods* I suppose there's no point in denying it, especially when talking to a new associate-

Fernald: I don't- want to be your new associate...

Ernest: And I'm not asking you to be. I'm giving you a job opportunity. After all, you're going to run out of that money eventually, and everyone needs to work. A young, smart, kid like you should know that.

Fernald: I'm 19, I'm not a kid ...And what exactly would I be doing for this "Count Olaf?"

Ernest: I haven't the faintest idea, but I do know that you'd get a place to stay and a job that rewards obedience. At least think about it. *looks down again* Is that your sister in that picture?

Fernald: *pulls the picture closer to him* Yes.

Ernest: Cute kid. How old is she now?

Fernald: Six...

Ernest: They grow up fast, don't they? Not that I have any myself.

Fernald: I won't get to see her grow up now... I don't think I'll ever see her again...

Ernest: Family man, huh? I understand. *stands up* Well, I'll get out of your hair. If you want the job, you have the address, no other requirements necessary. With any luck, we'll never have to speak again. If you don't want it, then you can simply toss it and forget this conversation ever happened. Oh, one more thing before I go. *leans over the table* If you get any ideas about "outing" my status to the organization, perhaps in a bargain to clear your own name, then let me inform you that with one phone call: I can make sure that some very bad things happen to a very small girl.

Fernald: 😨

Ernest: Have a pleasant evening. *leaves*

Fernald: 😓 *looks down at the card* *sighs* If I don't do it, he could make that threat happen anyway... I can't take that chance...

~

Well I didn't say this would be a pleasant scene. 😦