A Missing Scene

A detail I've never actually addressed in my stories, but I like a lot, here's my attempt at doing so:

~

Klaus: I did get your message by the way.

Fiona: You did?

Klaus: Yeah Kit said you were trying to reach us. I'm sorry I couldn't reply to it, I never even told Kit my answer, we didn't have any way to communicate where we were.

Fiona: Oh... I suppose that makes sense now that I think about it.

Klaus: Though after that... last discussion we had I was wondering why you were so insistent. Since we're friends again, would you mind explaining?

Fiona: Isn't it obvious? When you left in the Queequeg I knew you'd try to get to Hotel Denouement for the meeting like everyone else. Obviously Fernald and I had to help those Snow Scouts and get Olaf's submarine away from him so he's not as much of a threat anymore. Once we did that, we wouldn't have made it to the meeting on time. So we chose not to go and just wait for our stepfather to come back. Then we got a telegram to all volunteers saying that Hotel Denouement was burning and you were nowhere to be found...

Klaus: 😓 Oh...

Fiona: If you think I didn't feel horrible enough already, imagine how upset I was at the possibility that my only friends had died after I was sure they wanted nothing to do with me anymore... It really scared me.

Klaus: How did you find out the truth?

Fiona: Kit. She boarded within the week to ask for updates. She insisted that you had escaped, and she had a theory on where you'd gone. I had to take her word for it, but trusting her was better than assuming the worst. So I took the chance to send you an apology.

Klaus: I'm glad you did. I couldn't respond to it at the time, even if I had wanted to, because Kit was in labor and had been poisoned so my priorities were elsewhere, but I was happy to hear it. And a year later we see each other again and we made up. So... it all worked out? ☺

Fiona: ☺ Aye, it did.

Klaus: And you bringing the Quagmires aboard the ship while we were M.I.A. and keeping them comfortably happy had absolutely nothing to do with gaining favor with us again?

Fiona: ... We did that because the Duchess told us to. She wanted them to be moved for safety reasons.

Klaus: No other reason?

Fiona: It was also the right thing to do.

Klaus: Well thank you for looking after Isadora for me.

Fiona: You're welcome. She's a good person.

Klaus: One last question before I stop bothering you. What's up with Quigley calling you "Doll?" 🙄

Fiona: 😶 His decision, not mine...