DICE #2

EPILOGUE

"4 months ka na agad dito doc! Ang bilis naman ng oras."

I scanned the chart that Angelique handed me, I guess i have 2 scheduled minor operations today. "Ay doc, wala si Dr. Mercadez ngayon may emergency daw. Fill in ka muna sa isang check up niya ha."

My brows furrowed as I stopped walking, i looked at neobe who gave me a peace sign while smiling innocently. She's the head nurse of the Cardiology department, she's the one adjusting our schedules.

Dr. Mercadez really liked passing down his work huh? I should talk about it with my brother sometimes, he could get fired for dereliction of duty.

I asked her the time for the appointment and she told me that it was scheduled at 11 AM. it was already 10:30 on my watch, i decided to finish my rounds so i would be able to go to my office. I was alone inside the elevator when my phone rang—it was my younger brother, calling.

"I keep on telling you, I can't leave this hospital." I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

[Then send some other doctors here. I'm a neurologist, i studied Neurology yet i keep on overseeing 4 different departments! I'm still a fellow you know?] It was his 3rd call this week.

The hospital in Tenejero was newly built so it still lacked staffs, we're planning on sending reinforcements but the board still hasn't decided on who will be able to go. I can't come, not at how the chief head is always like this. The cardiology department will be in chaos.

"Talk to kuya." I ended the call when the elevator opened. The nurses stopped and lowered their heads as a sign of respect, i didn't bother returning their gesture. I ignored all the eyes—including the eyes of patients and visitors.

I squinted my eyes a bit so that i'll be able to see the faces of the two people standing infront of my office, i guess they were Dr. Mercadez' patients; the one Angelique told me.

My eyes widened when the lady turned around to look at me. As if all the blood in her body disappeared, she looked dead pale. I could somehow tell how her eyes were a little teary, in just a matter of seconds i was able to completely study her features.

I didn't know what expression i made but i was surprised. She's the last person that i expected to see today—to see for the rest of my life, even. My mind became wrecked, back to how it was years ago when i was at my most vulnerable state.

She looked more mature, more beautiful. She was a goddess in a formal clothing. She got taller and her features were less softer, she looked intimidating.

Our eyes locked on each other but i was the first one to look away. I asked the man she was with instead, i felt like i wouldn't be able to mutter a single word if i ever talked to her. My heart was racing like hell.

Her voice was as soft and melodic as ever. It was the voice that i got addicted to back then—until now.

I guess she didn't really expect to see me, not until she saw the name outside my office. I've been using my mother's surname, i didn't want to have any special treatments when i started working here. I want to see how they really work and not only because i'm here—not because the son of the owner is also working here.

When she unconsciously called my name i was shocked. She sounded like she was pleading, her voice sounded sad. I wanted to ask her why, i wanted to ask her the reason why she was feeling like that—i wanted to ask her if her feelings remained the same.