-16- Our Day. Not really!

The look of YiZhan after he successfully woke me up this morning! Without me wanting it!!!

-16- Our day. Not really!

When Zhan got up at 8 in the morning, he wondered what he and Yibo would do today. Would they make themselves comfortable on the abandoned grounds and spend the day doing nothing? Or would they do some activity, like exploring the area? Zhan couldn't imagine the latter, though, since they both agreed to bring their bunnies.

But Zhan was not so sure anymore if he really wanted to bring Lan Zhan to camping. After all, this would mean that the little guy would be stuck in his transport box until tomorrow. He couldn't just let the little bunny run on an unknown, unsecured area. The same applied to Yibo's little Wei Ying, of course.

After showering, he fetched some carrots for the bunnies from the bed in the garden and decided he would let Yibo decide what they wanted to do. Still Zhan could not decide whether they wanted to camp or stay at Yibo's home.

And while he took his Lan Zhan out of its cage and put it in its transport box, he thought of something else. On Sundays the buses do not stop at certain stations. If the bus stop near the abandoned factory site was one of them, they wouldn't get off so easily. And he didn't know whether they were even allowed to take the two bunnies on the bus. It annoyed Zhan that they hadn't thought about it before.

Shortly before 9 am Zhan went to the bus stop where he had agreed to meet Yibo. On the way there he explained to his bunny Lan Zhan: "Today you will meet Yibo and his black bunny Wei Ying. Please be friendly and please don't be as dominant as you are to others. We don't want to make a bad impression right away."

Lan Zhan's answer was, he turned around and showed Zhan it' s butt. Zhan laughed and said, " I knew it, you cheeky little punk."

At 9 am, when Yibo had wanted to be there, Yibo didn't show up, but one of the drivers of the family. He told him that Yibo would wait for him at home. Apparently bad weather had been predicted. Zhan had heard nothing of the sort, but he got into the car and let himself be driven to the Wang's.

Yibo was already waiting for Zhan at the front door. He took his backpack and the tent from him and brought it to the living area where Yibo's father was sitting reading the newspaper. "Oh Zhan, good to see you." He said and reached out his hand to greet Zhan. Hai Kuan also came and greeted Zhan friendly.

Minutes went by without Yibo, explaining to Zhan what they were about to do. An employee brought Zhan a cup of tea, he had almost finished it when Yibo's stepmother also came into the living room. Well, this is not unusual, after all she still lives there. But Zhan somehow had the impression he knew her from somewhere. He just couldn't figure out from where.

Ten minutes later, when Zhan still didn't know why he was here and what the plan was, he asked Yibo what was going on. And Yibo took Zhan outside the door where Zhan could have a look at the property. It looked like a small park, with a big pond in the middle, over which there is even a bridge. There was even a white pavilion surrounded by a rose hedge.

"Apparently my stepmother thought that now that my parents are getting divorced, we should have one more day as a family. And so she decided that we should all go to the amusement park today and have a barbecue together in the evening." Yibo explained.

"Um, okay. But why didn't you call me? Then I wouldn't have come here. And why did your driver say it was because of the predicted bad weather?"

"My dad said we'd take you with us today. And I don't know why the driver said it was because of bad weather."

"Well, I really don't want to go on a family trip. If I knew earlier, I wouldn't have come. And then I wouldn't have brought my Lan Zhan either. He doesn't like the transport box anyway. I could have spared him that."

"Don't be mad, Zhan. My dad wants you to come. He said that you are a part of the family now."

"Uh, no, I'm not. Even though your dad knew my parents and is very nice to me. But that doesn't make me family. And I prefer to take my stuff and my Lan Zhan and go home now. I don't mean that in any offense. But I really don't want to be a part of it. The atmosphere here is already so uncomfortable. I don't want to imagine how it will feel later on."

"ZhanZhan please. Come with me. I've been looking forward to our day."

" Exactly Yibo, our day. We wanted to stay together as a couple. But not with your family. I know we wanted to spend a day as a couple. But I don't want to do that in front of your family. I'm not comfortable with that. Let's reschedule our day. I'm gonna go home now."

"No Zhan, please don't go."

"I'm sorry, Yibo. But I can't do this. I'm already having trouble understanding what's going on inside me, admitting I'm attracted to a boy. It's exhausting enough as it is. I don't need this tense mood from your family."

Zhan went back into the house and explained to Yibo's family: "Thank you for the invitation, but I would like to decline. But I wish you all a good time and have a nice day."

"Zhan, are you sure you don't want to come?" Asked Wang Shou.

"Yes sir, I'm absolutely sure. I'd be happy if someone can drop me off at the next bus stop."

"To be honest, I think it's a pity. But of course, if that's your wish, I accept. However, I'll let you drive straight home."

"That won't be necessary. I'm taking the bus to my best friend's house. So it's no problem."

Zhan took his backpack, the tent and the transport box with Lan Zhan inside, then he went to the front door. Yibo looked at him sadly and asked him again not to go and spend the day with him. But Zhan, who was also sad, refused again. There was such thick air in this house that you could almost cut it, Zhan thought. It's like a suffocating feeling, and even if Zhan wanted to, he couldn't bear to stay there.

"What are you really going to do now, ZhanZhan? You're not really going to Chuyue, are you?" Yibo asked.

"No. I'm going home. I don't want to have Lan Zhan in its transport box all the time. I'll tell my stepmother that the school project has been postponed temporarily undated."

"Next weekend Zhan? Shall we make up our day next weekend?"

"Mhm, OK. Next weekend then."

"Then tell the driver to drop you off at the bus stop at your house. And I'll ask him later if he really dropped you off there."

"Don't worry."

"I'm sorry, Zhanzhan, I want you to know that. I was really looking forward to our day, and then my mom announces something like this at breakfast."

"It's OK, Yibo. It's not your fault. I'll see you at school on Monday." Zhan said when the car came around. Zhan got in, the driver put his stuff in the trunk and then they drove off.

Even though Zhan was disappointed that their day together didn't work out, he wasn't angry. Maybe this day is good for Yibo before his mother says goodbye. Maybe they really manage to spend one last carefree day together.

While still driving, Zhan wondered why Yibo's stepmother looked so familiar to him. Had he perhaps seen her before? If so, where had that been? But just when Zhan thought he was about to remember how he knew her, the driver yelled out loudly, "Hold on!". The next moment he turned the steering wheel around and was just able to swerve out of the way when two cars in front of them crashed into each other on the road.

Zhan wanted to get out and check on the accident victims. But the driver ordered him to stay in the car. "I don't think the accident is a coincidence." He said and left the car with a handgun!