~Two~

The Company of Thorin Oakenshield 

"Was it something I said?" Bofur asked, looking down at the figure of Mr. Baggins now laying sprawled out on the rug that not long ago he had been scolding them for tracking mud onto.

Muttering to himself, Gandalf helped their host into a chair by the fire. 

"I'll be all right," Mr. Baggins called once he had come to again, sitting before the fire,  a steaming mug of tea in hand. "Just let me sit quietly for a moment."

"He's not coming."

"Thorin-"

"He can barely stand to hear about a dragon, let alone face one." Thorin and Dahlia were standing in Mr. Baggins's entrance hall sharing a pipe, passing it back and forth between them.

"Well in case you had forgotten, we all did a lot more than tremble a little when facing said dragon." 

"Yes, and we're warriors.  He'll only slow us down. And we cannot afford that."

"I still stand by what I said about first impressions," she stated, exhaling a ring of smoke up into his face. "Remember, sometimes people are full of surprises."  She gave him a nudge for emphasis and passed the pipe to him. 

He inhaled, choking slightly on the smoke, making her laugh.

Balin came over to them. "It appears we have lost our burglar.  Probably for the best, though. The odds were always against us, after all, what are we? Merchants, miners, tinkers, toy-makers. Hardly the stuff of legend."

"There are still a few warriors amongst us," Thorin reminded, giving him a knowing smile.

"Old warriors." Balin shook his head. 

"I would take every one of these dwarves over the mightiest armies. For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty, honour, a willing heart. I can ask no more than that."

"You don't have to ask.  And you don't have to do this," Balin protested.  "You have a choice. You've done honorably by our people - you have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains, a good life, a life of peace and plenty. A life that is worth more than all the gold in Erebor."

"From my grandfather, to my father, this-" Thorin held up the key from Gandalf.  "-Has come to me. They dreamt of the day when the Dwarves of Erebor would reclaim their homeland. And now we have the chance to see that happen. There is no choice, Balin. Not for me."

Balin sighed but nodded.  "Then we are with you, Laddie.  We will see it done."  He patted Thorin's arm.

The company of dwarves gathered in the sitting room before the fire. 

"Hmmmm hmm hmmm..." they all began a low hum in unison.  Then Thorin began to sing, the others steadily joining in.

Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away, ere break of day

To find our long-forgotten gold

The pines were roaring, on the heights

The winds was moaning, in the night

The fire was red, it flaming spread

The trees like torches, blazed with light..."

~ ~ ~ ~ 

They had cleared up the dirty dishes and wiped down the table, then gathered in the entry hall to try and get some rest - after all, they had a long day ahead of them tomorrow. They had a quest to face.  

Dahlia lay awake, staring at the low ceiling of Mr. Baggins house, the others snoring all around her, sound asleep.

"I thought I heard your snoring stop," she whispered, sitting up and facing Thorin, who was also sitting up, awake.

He chuckled.  "I do not snore."

She chuckled too.  "You should be getting some rest - we have a long journey ahead of us."

"Aye. That is why I cannot sleep."

"Nervous? Uncertain?"

"Nervous, but deeply certain." He met her eyes in the dark.  "I have to do this, Dahlia."

"I know. And we're with you. All the way."

He smiled his thanks but the smile quickly fell and he sighed, turning serious again.  "I cannot guarantee anyone's safety-"

"And none of us ever asked for you to do so."

"I have no idea how this is going to unfold, nor how it will end."

She reached out and placed a supportive hand on his arm.  "None of us do. But we have been through a great deal together, us lot. And we'll see this through to the end. Now, we should join the others and try to get some sleep."

"Aye. Goodnight, Dahlia."

"Goodnight, Thorin." 

~ ~ ~ ~

With the first rays of dawn, those who were already awake woke those who were still asleep. Mr. Baggins was still curled up by the now dead fire, sound asleep.

"What are we going to do about a burglar now?" asked Kili as they gathered their belongings - including some food for the road from Mr. Baggins's pantry.

"I don't know," Thorin admitted.  "But let's not waste anymore time on him." 

With that, the Company of Thorin Oakensheild, which included fourteen dwarves, one wizard, and minus a burglar, left the Hobbit hole without a trace, vanishing into the mist of the early morning. 

They rode in a line of ponies - well, a horse in the case of Gandalf - Thorin in the lead, of course.  

Dahlia caught her pony up to Thorin's.  "Mornin'." 

"Good morning."

"How did you sleep?"

"All right. And you?"

"Not bad.  How are you feeling today?"

Thorin squared his shoulders. "Refreshed, and ready for the journey ahead - and whatever else may lay ahead."  

"But still nervous."

"Aye," he admitted softly.

She reached out and placed her hand over his which was holding the reins.  "And that's completely fine."

From behind them, Fili and Kili were whispering and snickering.

Dahlia threw a look over her shoulder at the two. "You nosy little creatures!" This only made them laugh harder. 

That was when they heard it, a distant shouting from behind them that made the whole line of ponies and dwarves stop.

"Wait!"

(So I imagine Dahlia to have bright red hair with part of it shaved on the side, with a tattoo coming down the side of her head, down her neck, shoulder, and arm, all the way to her hand, like Natalie Dormer's character in the Hunger Games! :)

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter! :))