~Ten~

~Lake-town~

A man armed with a bow stood towering above them on the rocks. 

He shot an arrow towards Ori, who had his back turned, where he was sitting at the bank of the river, pouring the water out of his boots.

Dwalin leapt in with a log, the arrow striking the exact centre of the wood.

Dahlia held up a rock to lob at the man, only he shot that out of her hands as well.

He notched a third arrow, ready.  "Do it again, and you're dead."

They stared back, blank and startled - clearly this guy was no one to mess with.

"Excuse me, but you're from Lake-town if I'm not mistaken." Balin approached with caution, arms even raised in surrender. "That barge over there - it wouldn't be for hire by any chance, would it?"

The barge clearly belonged to the man, who began loading the barrels onto it. The Dwarves followed him. 

"I would like to know who you are, and what you are doing in these lands."

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills," Balin quickly came up with a story, and a pretty good one too. 

"And why do you think I would help you?"

"That coat has seen better days, as have those boots. And no doubt you've got some hungry mouths to feed at home."

At this, the man sighed.  "Aye."

"How many?"

"A boy and two girls."

"And your wife? I'll bet she's just a beauty."

Balin's praise backfired, for the man replied, "Yes, she was."

Balin's face fell and he sighed.  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"We need food, supplies, weapons," Thorin stepped-in. "Can you help us?"

"I know where these barrels came from. I don't know what business you had with the Elves, but it didn't end well, whatever it was. And no on enters Lake-town but by leave of the Master."

"Offer him more," Thorin urged Balin in a whisper.

Balin sighed. "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen."

"Oh, aye," agreed the man.  "But for that you would need a smuggler."

Balin walked right up to him.  "For which we would pay double."

"And where are you getting all this wealth from, hmm? And why are you in need of weapons, simple merchants?"

"Thank you, Balin, I will take it from here," Dahlia stepped in, coming to stand next to Balin.  "I am Lady Dahlia, daughter of Lord Dain of the Iron Hills. Will you tell us your name?"

"I am Bard of Lake-town."

"Nice to meet you, Bard of Lake-town. I am travelling home with this band of merchants, only we are being hunted by a pack of Orcs. We could really use some help getting across the lake, and would really appreciate your help. So, what do you say? Care to help out some simple folk?"

Bard only sighed in response. 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Fish. That was Bard's grand master plan.

He had agreed - albeit reluctantly - to smuggle the Dwarves, who, as far as he knew, were Lady Dahlia and some merchant folk, into the town.  

He put their barrels to good use, getting each Dwarf, and the Hobbit, to hide inside, while he covered them with fish, which he would then bring into town for the food supply. It was simple enough.