~Thirteen~

~Memories of the Mountain, Part I~ 

Lady Dahlia Ironfoot of the Iron Hills had fond memories of visiting the Mountain Kingdom of Erebor as a child. She  befriended the eldest prince and heir, Prince Thorin, and the two children would spend hours running around the kingdom halls and grounds, taking in the wonder that was Erebor.

So, years later when she was of age, when her father admitted to her that she was betrothed to Prince Thorin and would one day become his queen, she wasn't all that upset about it. After all, she had fond memories of Erebor and the prince was her friend. She could definitely make this work. 

And then came the day to return to Erebor as a grown woman, to meet the man her friend the prince had become, her future husband, and she was actually excited for it.

 "My King." A guard who was tending the front gates of Erebor approached the throne, kneeling in a low bow to King Thror.  "Lord Dain and Lady Dahlia have arrived."

Thror nodded. "Let them in."

Thrain patted his son, Thorin, on the shoulder.  It was time to be reunited with his future bride. 

Thorin thought back to all those times they had played together as children - they had gotten along so well, but that had been without the pressure of a marriage between them. 

Dain and Dahlia were led into the hall by guards, and they knelt before the king and princes. 

"King Thror, Crown Prince Thrain, Prince Thorin," Dain addressed them.  "My kinsmen. We are honoured to be here."

"Lord Dain." Thror nodded in return. "You and your daughter are always most welcome here."

"Thank you, My King."

"By my beard, Thorin, how you've grown - I hardly recognized you under that massive beard!" Dahlia declared,stepping forward.  "How are ye, Laddie? It's been so long! I have much to tell you, I can't wait!" Her comment was met by silence, not even receiving any response from the prince it was directed at. Thorin barely acknowledged her, giving her only a brief nod.  There was no warmth there. Her excitement was instantly shattered. 

An uncomfortable silence now hung heavy in the hall. 

This hadn't exactly  been the joyful reunion with her old friend and future husband she was expecting it to be.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

One thing she remembered most about Thorin was his smile. It stretched the whole length of his face and brought light with it wherever he went. She had a perfectly clear image of his toothy grin seared into her memory, imprinted on her brain. She did not see that smile upon her arrival in Erebor. 

"Well that was just a mess," she grumbled as they left the hall. On top of it, she'd managed to embarrass herself right away in front of her father, the guards, King Thror, Prince Thrain, and her seemingly emotionless future husband. 

"Chin up, Lass," her father said.  "This is a big moment for everyone."

"Well it's certainly big for us! We're the ones who are supposed to be getting married! When is that, by the way?"

"Lord Dain, Lady Dahlia."

"Ah, Balin."

"My Lady, I will escourt you to your chambers." 

"Thank you, Balin."

"You had a pleasant journey, I hope," Balin said as they walked.  "And arrival as well?"

"Yes, all very pleasant - until I saw Thorin again."

"How do you mean?"

"I greeted him and he didn't respond. He cannot even spare a smile for his future wife, it would seem. I wasn't all that nervous, really. Not until I met him again today. I thought I would recognize him instantly - I hardly did. Barely. Now I'm rethinking all this. It's probably best if I turn around now and head back for the Iron Hills." She sighed. 

Balin chuckled softly. "Don't take it personally, Lass. Young Prince Thorin puts a lot of pressure on himself and his role as future King Under the Mountain. He's always expectant for the future. But, deep down, I know he's just as nervous as you. And excited."

She scoffed.  "You're pulling my beard."

"No, no. He is very excited. He expressed it to me himself."

"He told you this?"

"Well, no, but I saw it in his expression, heard it in his voice."

Dahlia wasn't so sure.  "I'll believe it when I see it."

~ ~ ~ ~ 

"That's it, Fili, keep your arms steady," Thorin instructed his young nephew. Perhaps Fili was still a little young to be using a slingshot, but the young lad was very persistent, and Thorin had not left his side or let his nephew out of sight since handing him the weapon. 

Kili stood behind Thorin, out of firing range, while Fili stood, arm drawn back, tongue sticking out and one eye closed in concentration. 

He  released the rock, which flew askew - right into the back of the head of a woman walking  nearby. 

"Ow!" cried the woman as the rock struck her  with a loud  thump!  Although she had her back to them, all three of the Durins recognized her. 

Fili gasped in horror.  "Oh no! I hit the princess!" He hurried to hide behind his uncle.

Dahlia spun around, searching for the culprit.  Her angry tone softened though when she saw Thorin standing with his two young nephews, his sister's sons. 

"We're very sorry," Thorin apologized on behalf of his nephew.  "Fili, come and apologize to Lady Dahlia."

The boy crept out from behind his uncle, head hung in shame.  "I'm sorry, Princess Dahlia."

She knelt down before him.  "Hey, it's all right, Laddie. Accidents happen.  That's quite the shot you have." 

This seemed to brighten Fili's mood considerably. 

"What are you up to?"

"Uncle's showing Kili and I how to use a slingshot!"

"Ar-rwow," spoke-up Kili, also peeking out from behind Thorin. 

"No Kili," said Thorin.  "No arrows today."

"You're going to be our auntie, aren't you?" Fili cried. "That's what Mama told us!"

His question caught her off-guard. She briefly met eyes with Thorin before looking away.  "Um, yes, um, someday, perhaps..." She said the last part so softly one could barely hear it.

"You hear that Kili? We're going to have an auntie!" cheered Fili.  

While she clearly had a long way to go with Thorin, there was no doubt in her mind that she would have any trouble getting along with Fili and Kili. She loved them already.  

"Well, I'll let you get back to your training session." 

"We're sorry again," Thorin said, to which she nodded.

It was their longest conversation so far. 

(So we don't get Benedict Cumberbatch attacking Lake-town quite yet - first I wanted to have a flashback :)

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))