~Four~

~Welcome and Unwelcome Encounters~

The beginning of their quest quickly took an awfully eventful turn, starting with a run-in and feast with some trolls - with the trolls about to eat the dwarves.  Luckily, Bilbo distracted them, and Gandalf made sure the sunlight reached them, turning the trolls to stone. 

"Ugh, what's that stench?" asked Nori as Gandalf led them into a cave. 

"It's a Troll-hoard. Be careful what you touch."

Hoard indeed - the cave was full of gold and jewels. 

"Seems a shame to just leave it lyin' around," remarked Bofur, touching a pile of gold coins with the toe of his boot. 

Thorin was examining some cobweb-wrapped swords.  "These swords were not made by any Troll."

"Nor were they made by any smith of Men," Gandalf remarked. "These were forged in Gondolin, by High Elves of the First Age - you could not ask for a finer blade," he quickly added when Thorin went to throw down the Elivsh weapon. Then the wizard turned to Dahlia, handing her one of the swords.  "My Lady."

"Thank you," she said as he passed her the blade. 

"Let's get out of this foul place."  Thorin led the way out of the cave.

Their next encounter was more of a welcome one - it was with Gandalf's friend Radagast the Brown, one of the other five wizards. Though he came baring news of a growing dark power. 

A sudden, distant howl grabbed their attention.

"Was that a wolf?" asked Bilbo, appearing startled.  "Are there wolves out here?"

"Wolves, no, that's not a wolf," said Bofur.

The howls quickly became growls as the group found themselves cornered by Wargs. 

Thorin struck the first one in the neck with his new sword.

"Bet you're glad you kept the weapon," Dahlia remarked. "Even if it is Elvish." 

 Kili shot the second with an arrow, Dwalin finishing it off with his axe.

"Warg scouts - which means an orc pack isn't far behind," announced Thorin. 

"Orc pack?!" yelped Bilbo.

"And these aren't just any Warg scouts - these are Gundabad Wargs," informed Gandalf.

"Gundabad?" cried Dahlia. She shared an urgent glance with Thorin.  Azog

"Who did you tell about your quest beyond your kin?" Gandalf demanded of Thorin.

"No one."

"Who did you tell?!"

"No one I swear! What in Durin's name is going on here?" he demanded. 

"You are being hunted."

"Hunted?" cried Fili.  "By who?"

"I do not know exactly, but clearly an old enemy."

None of them noticed the third Warg closing in and sneaking up on them, not until it was too late.

Dahlia gave a startled cry as she was suddenly knocked over by the giant animal and pinned to the ground. The creature's teeth and claws slashed - she felt a burn in her lower abdomen and gave a pained scream. 

"Dahlia!" The Warg was run through by Thorin's elvish blade. Thorin himself dropped to his knees beside her, wincing at the large bloody gash in her side. "Fili, Kili, help your aunt." The brothers supported her between them, helping her to her feet.