Chapter 33

"Dean, what are you doing?" Harry yelled as we all followed Dean into another room. 

"Daggett was a Cold War nut, okay?" Dean started. "He was an amateur taxidermist, he liked to slow dance with cadavers and all he ate was sea rations, so what the hell are we looking for?" 

"A horrible little life." Maggie commented. 

"A lonely life." I added as realization dawned on me, and Dean too apparently. 

"A Cold War life." We said in sync. "He was scared." 

"Scared of what?" 

"Dean, Leona, where are you going?" Harry yelled as we started running. 

"Wait Dean, Leona." Ed called. 

We reached a lower level with the others in tow. 

"What are you doing?" Maggie asked. 

"Guys like Daggett, the ones who were really scared of the ruskies." Dean started. 

"They built bombshelters." I added. 

"I'm guessing, he's got one." Dean finished as he tried to open a door. "And I bet you, it's in the basement."

"And it would make sense with the coldness and humidity, I felt." I pointed out, as Dean, Spruce and I went through the now open door, before it closed back up. 

"Woah." I heard from the outside. 

"That is not funny." Ed said. "Can you..." 

"Uhm, who closed the door?" Spruce asked. 

"My money's on Daggett." I said through my struggle with trying to open the door. "He wants to separate us." 

"Ed, listen to me." Dean yelled from our side of the door. "There is some salt in my duffle. Make a circle and get inside."

"Inside your duffle bag?" Ed asked for a brief pause. 

"Inside the salt, you idiot!" Dean and I yelled in sync. 

Shortly after, we heard shuffling, and we decided to keep going. 

"You still got the knife, I gave you?" Dean asked. 

"Right here." I showed it to him briefly. "Don't go anywhere without it." 

"Good, you might need it." He muttered. 

"You don't say."

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Spruce asked as Dean and I searched the basement for a way inside the bomb shelter. 

"What?" Dean asked. 

"Earlier, you two and Sam." Spruce started. "He said you had two months left?" 

"Oh believe me, that's not something, you wanna know." I added, continuing to look. 

"It's complicated. A while ago, Sam..." Dean answered before stopping himself. "No, no, no, I'm not going to whine about my fucking problems to some fucking reality show. I am gonna do my fucking job." 

"And you wonder, where I learned my swearwords." I mumbled. 

"Is it cancer?" Spruce asked. 

"Shut up." Dean yelled.  

"You hear that?" I said. 

"What?"

"It sounds like birthday songs and someone is talking." I looked towards a bookcase, which I lifted away to reveal a secret door.