Chapter 2: Betrayer

I swallowed hard as we walked out of the compound. Rain battered us as we walked out. Part of me actually wished I could take my helmet off so I could feel the rain against my skin. I curled my lips, trying not to smile at the fact that Pheonix and I were walking out of the compound without Doctor hovering over us. I glanced up at the sky. I frowned as the black clouds covered the stars.
"Pheonix!" came Doctor's voice. My brows furrowed as Pheonix turned to see what he wanted. I was met by roaring winds as the helicopter's engines fired up.
A tall man stood next to it, waving me over.
"Let's go!" he hollered. I glanced back to see Doctor covering his mouth as he talked to Pheonix. Doctor's face was hard as stone as he pulled away, slipping something into Pheonix's hand. Pheonix nodded, putting whatever it was in his pocket and walked over. I couldn't see his eyes through his helmet, but I could tell by his rigid poster, that something wasn't right. I hopped onto the chopper and strapped in. I glanced at Pheonix out the corner of my eye. His hand gave a slight twitch as he strapped himself in. His muscles were so ridged. My heart banged against my ribcage. What could Doctor have said to him? I wondered. I clenched my jaw, trying to push it out my mind. I stared at the compound, watching it get smaller and smaller as we took off. I smiled again, secretly hoping that it would be the last time I saw that building.
"Hey!" the man called. I glanced over at him. He had a mask over his face and a helmet on so I couldn't tell what he looked like. "I'm Agent One."
He held up a large blue pill.
"Keep this on you at all times. We know things that cannot be revealed to the enemy! If either of you get captured, take it!"
I held out my hand to him. He placed the blue pill in my palm. I stared at it for a second. At first, I wasn't sure if I'd really be able to take it if it came down to it, but then I realized that if I got captured, I'd be in the hands of HYDRA. Taking the pill would be a peaceful death in comparison to them. I placed it in my pocket and leaned my head back, staring out at the dark sea as we flew past. Everyone was silent as we flew. Not a single person spoke, until Agent One reached under his seat and pulled two parachutes out.
"Put these on. We're gonna be in for a warm welcome in a few minutes."
I quickly put it on and held my breath as the boat came into view. My head snapped to the side as a hand fell over my shoulder. One glared at me. "Don't let me die, kay?"
I was ripped away from his gaze as a clinking noise exploded right in front of me. I looked forward and saw sparks flying from the side of the chopper. The sound of metal clinking together rattled my ear drums. I took a deep breath as I glared down at the boat and jumped. The wind beat against my helmet as the boat came closer and closer. The bullets ricocheted off my suit. I pulled the shoute and watched as men flooded the deck of the ship. My heart dropped as a man pulled out an RPG. My training rushed through me, blocking every other emotion out. I slipped out of my parachute and shot towards the ground. The deck came closer and closer until my feet slammed onto the surface. I slammed my hand down and sent a shockwave of fire across the deck, turning everyone around me to ash in an instant. One and Pheonix landed behind me, quickly taking off their parachutes. I grabbed One and ordered him to lead me towards the control room. As we ran across the ship, I glanced back at Pheonix to see him fighting the soldiers around him. My heart stopped as I looked forward to see a man charging at me with his gun raised. I slammed my hand into his throat. He didn't even have time to gag before I kicked his legs out from under him and lodged a knife into his chest. Two men rushed out of a door in front of us. I latched onto One and forced him behind me. The bullets felt like nothing more than a tickle as they banged into my vibranium suit. I took long strides over to them, smirking as they trembled with fear. I reached out and snatched the rifle out of the mans hands, sending it flying into the other's chest. I grabbed the rifle again and shot at every soldier that came rushing at me. The bullets buried into the center of their chests everytime. I never missed. I tossed the gun as I shot the last man. We bolted deeper into the ship until we made it to the control room. The door was barricaded shut. One nodded to the door.
"Would you do the honors?" he questioned. I placed my hand against the door and took a deep breath. The fire rushed through my veins, collecting into a tight ball in my palms. I cocked my arm back and slammed my hand into the door. The door exploded, flying back as fire filled the room. The sprinklers burst as One rushed in. I stood in the hallway. Three men came rushing towards me, their guns held high. I charged towards them. The man swung his rifle. I caught it and slammed my head into his. The man fell to my side unconscious. The second man latched onto my shoulder and wrapped his arm around my throat. I flipped around, using the wall to run on it and flip behind him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and twisted. I could feel his neck snap in half. The third man stood back and continued to shoot at me. I charged towards him and leaped into the air. I slammed both my feet into his chest, sending him flying through the air. My back slammed against the floor. I pushed myself up and froze, staring at the other end of the hallway as a monstrous man came walking towards me. He was as wide as he was tall. He had to be at least three hundred pounds and five times my size. There I was, 4'10 me going up against a 6'6 man, but I wasn't afraid. Not in the slightest. The man smirked.
"Time to put a child in it's place," he snarled.
He whipped out a baton and charged towards me. I blocked his arm and slammed my foot into his chest. He slid back only a couple of feet. His eyes narrowed into slits. He grunted as he swung. I reeled my left shoulder back, dodging his blow. I latched onto his wrist and tore the baton out of his hand. I slammed it against my knee, breaking it in half. The air was yanked out of my lungs as he unexpectedly slammed his fist into my chest. I took in a deep breath, trying to catch the air before it fled my lungs. The back of his hand slammed into my head, knocking my helmet clean off. His foot slammed into my chest. I flew and landed hard on my back. I rolled onto my hands and knees, staring up at him as my curly hair hung over my eyes. A smirk spread across his face. A smirk spread across my face as well. He had no idea what kind of monster he had just woken up. My center sprawled with heat. I opened my mouth and let the black smoke billow out. The color drained from his face, his smirk immediately disappearing. My cheeks burned and my eyes glowed as I let the fire build inside me. The fire rushed through my veins. I could feel the steam rise off my body.  I opened my mouth and forced the fire out. The hallway was engulfed in flames. The rushing of the fire blocked out his scream. The heat melted my organs and twisted my heart. I slammed my mouth shut and pushed myself up. The man's body laid on the ground, burnt to a crisp. A loud grunt came from behind me. I flipped around and sucked in a sharp breath. A man had his knife lodged into One's neck. I pulled my pistol and shot the soldier, my bullet tearing through his forehead. I rushed to One's side and glared down at him as he choked on his own blood. He reached into his pocket and slammed the flash drive against my chest.
"Take...it!" he choked. I nodded and shoved the flash drive into my pocket. I watched him as he laid there, dying slowly in agony. I grabbed my last knife and lodged it into his chest, ending his suffering.
"Pheonix, Firbird, you there?!" came Doctor's voice through my radio.
"Yes, Doctor," came Pheonix's voice.
"Do you have the package?!"
"Yes, Doctor," I replied.
"You two need to get out of there now! The Winter Soldier has been deployed! I repeat, the Winter Soldier is on that ship! Get out of there!"
My heart instantly sank. Doctor would tell us the stories of the Winter Soldier. He wanted us to be like him, but at the same time, he scared us to death. I would lie awake as a child, scared that the Winter Soldier would break into my room and kill me. I shot up and rushed out of the hallway. I was met with screams and fire as I ran onto the deck. I glanced around. Embers fell from the sky. Huge blue flames billowed from the center of the ship. Pheonix did a good job as always. I looked forward as the helicopter waited by the edge of the ship. Pheonix was frantically waving me over. I charged towards the chopper, my heart racing as I got closer and closer. My heart sank to my feet as fingers curled around the back of my suit. My body was yanked back. I landed hard on my side. I winced in pain and shot up, ready to fight once more. My blood ran cold as I caught his steel blue...empty eyes. My heart completely stopped as he towered over me, his metal arm shimmering as the embers hovered in between us. The muzzle wrapped around his mouth sent chills up my spine. I didn't move a single muscle as the Winter Soldier stood between me and the helicopter. I wanted to scream as his metal harm hurled towards me. I lifted my hand putting a thin wall of fire in between us. His arm reached through. I dogged but not enough for his arm to miss me. His crushing grip wrapped around my shoulder. He yanked me towards him. Fire rushed to my palm as I sent it towards his face. He raised his other arm, blocking my blow. I kicked him hard in the chin and did a back handspring, kicking up fire as I flipped. He raised his arms as the fire attached to his leather jacket. Seeing he was distracted, I charged towards him and slid right through his legs. I bolted towards the chopper as it took off. I didn't dare to look back to see how close he was. I pushed fire out of my fists and feet and shot into the air. Pheonix reached out and yanked me into the chopper. I landed on top of him, finally able to breathe.
"You just took on the Winter Soldier and survived!" he exclaimed. My mouth gaped open as I smiled. Pheonix ripped off his helmet and smiled at me, his eyes about as wide as mine. That was the first time I had ever seen excitement in his face. I grabbed the collar of his suit and pressed my lips into his, not even caring if the pilot saw. We both laughed as we pulled away. I was slow to get back into my seat. My mind was still trying to comprehend the fact that I did face the Winter Soldier. And I'm still alive. I strapped in and took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down.
"Did you get it?" Pheonix asked. I nodded and pulled the flash drive out of my pocket to show him. He smiled and laced his fingers through mine. "We did it," he mumbled. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes. I smiled and stared out of the chopper, watching as boat burned. I put the flash drive back into my pocket and took in another deep breath, realived that it was finally over. Pheonix squeezed my hand. I looked over at him, my eyes narrowed as his face hardened. His eyes held something that I had never seen before, something dangerous. It was as if someone had flipped the switch. His eyes swelled up with tears. "I'm sorry," he whispered. Before I could even move, he yanked out a syringe and stabbed it into my neck. I gasped as the urge to sleep ripped through my veins. I didn't even have time to comprehend what happened because seconds later, I had fallen into darkness.

  I slowly pulled my heavy eyes open. I clenched my fist, feeling the fridged chains wrapped around my arms and legs. My mind was covered in a thick fog as I glanced around the room. I sat in an ice cold room, the steam rising off my body. A crown of wires wrapped around my head. My eyes went cross as the wires tapped into my brain, making me feel as if my bones were warping up and down like waves. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying my hardest to push out the disorientating machine. The sound of footsteps echoed in my mind, bouncing off the walls of my skull. A brush of pain shot out of the middle of my head. The leather muzzle was wrapped so tightly around my face, but the ear-splitting noise of the wires blocked out the crippling claustrophobia of the muzzle. The high pitch shriek of the wires died down and my focus came rushing back like a flood. I blinked a dozen times in a second, trying to get the crud out. I stared up into Doctor's eyes, his cheeks flushing as the cold gripped his body. My eyes wandered to behind him where Pheonix stood, his eyes glued to the ground. I could see the pain radiating throughout his body. My eyes flickered to Doctor's again as he lowered himself to my eye level. My heavy eyes struggled to stay open as I stared at his ice cold eyes in their own environment. A smile curled at the corner of his mouth. "I'm gonna ask you a few questions, Firebird. And you're gonna tell me the truth."
He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Well, not that you have a choice."
He chuckled as he stood up straight. "Do you trust me?"
I opened my mouth to speak, ready to say yes. Ready to tell him that I trusted him with all my heart.
"No," I croaked. My heart stopped. What? I questioned. I was going to say yes. How could...? My stomach turned as I realized what the crown of wires was for. It was a machine that would force me to tell the truth no matter what. I swallowed hard.
He circled me, keeping his eyes glued to me as he went round and round and round.
"Pheonix tells me you have doubts. You question me?"
No! Say no! I ordered myself.
"Yes...Doctor," I croaked again.
I bit my cheek, fighting back the wave of tears trying to push their way through.
"And why is that?"
Doctor stopped walking and stood behind me. I stared forward as I could feel his head move to the side of mine.
Lie!
"I had a memory. Of you injecting us with something that gave us our powers. You...lied. We weren't born with our abilities."
He moved even closer. I cringed as his hot breath flowed into my ear.
"Shame."
I was seconds away from ugly crying, sobbing, screaming. The reality of how bleak everything was washed over me. I glanced at Pheonix. He just stared at the ground, avoiding all eye-contact. I clenched my jaw.
"Pheonix...why?" I mumbled. "Why did you tell? I thought you...loved me."
The tears spilled over my eyes. I took quick sharp breaths, trying desperately to get air into the skin tight muzzle. Doctor slithered in front of me like the snake he was.
"Love?!" Doctor exclaimed. He shook his head and tisked. He glanced back at Pheonix and nodded towards me.
"It's okay. You can answer."
Phoenix swallowed hard as his eyes finally lifted to meet mine. They darted between Doctor and I.
"You...questioned Doctor. It's my duty to tell him...everything. It...was my responsibility."
His voice sounded so brittle. Too brittle. We weren't supposed to show weakness of any kind, but even Pheonix's voice sounded weak with pain. I knew that he'd be punished too.
"She's defective," Doctor said. I felt like I was nothing as I sat there and just sobbed uncontrollably in front of them, knowing that I was making myself seem more weak, more defective. But I didn't even care anymore. I just let all of my emotions pour out of me. He took a deep breath and let out an indifferent sigh.
"Oh, well. She was a runt anyways."
"What will happen to her?" Pheonix asked.
Doctor's eyes dug into his. I could literally see the rage burning in his eyes as he glared at Pheonix. I could tell that Doctor knew we loved each other, and there would no doubt be consequences for it.
"She will be given the traitor's death she deserves!"
I slowly tilted my weary eyes up to them. My eyes stung from the bountiful tears falling from my face. A smirk spread at the corner of his mouth.
"No," I croaked. I squeezed my eyes shut and dug down deep to yank the fire from my depths. I forced the heat into the device and fried the wires. With the crown of wires broken, I was free to lie. "I'm...loyal to you, Doctor! I would never betray you!"
I took in a deep breath, swallowing the wad of saliva in my throat.
"I...am a warrior. I am a warrior because of you, Doctor. Before you, I was small and weak...nothing. Now, I am strong, brave, a warrior who knows no fear. Because fear does not coincide with bravery. My mission is to end the Avengers."
He just stared at me, the smirk on his face holding steady. As the silent seconds ticked by, I knew he didn't believe me. He winked before shoving Pheonix out the freezing room.
"No!" I screamed. I shoved the fire through my veins, nose, and mouth, but the muzzle and fire retardant gloves prevented a single flame from igniting.
"I am a warrior because of you, Doctor! Before you, I was small and weak...nothing! Now, I am strong, brave, a warrior who knows no fear! Because fear does not coincide with bravery! My mission is to end the Avengers!" I screamed, praying that he would hear me and some how forgive me...but he never came back.