Chapter 13: Ominous Path to the Future

The Von Dutch siblings were waiting for their parents to come home. They have been in the territory for about a week already, and yet there is still no news from the Capital City. Elise, who was inside the Duke's study room was now in charge of guiding the East Territory back to its full potential while she was waiting for their parents' arrival. Her little brother Ashur on the other hand, put the tasks to strengthen the defense of the East territory to his palms.

"The East Territory is a territory that is both fertile and has a high population in the entire Geon Kingdom. Do you think we, as the family that is responsible for the lives of the citizens, should just cower and hide inside our grandiose homes than making a way to protect them from future disasters?"- Elise asked her little brother as they both gazed towards each other.

"But why? I mean... I see no benefit for these actions towards you, sister, so why?"- Ashur asked her with a confused look on his face. Elise paused before looking at the scenery outside the window- it was the large expanse of the duchy.

"I'm not doing it for my own benefit, Ashur. Just like you said, whatever happens to them, they will not affect me. However, since our parents take care of them, I am merely doing this while filling the gaps."- Elise said and look back to her little brother.

"I am doing this for my filial piety for our parents, I owe them so much to be who I am today. Will you do the same as well, Ashur?"- Elise asked with a smile.

"...I understand Big Sister because it's for our parents, I will also keep this territory safe, we will both work hard for this territory to prosper and keep it safe."- Her brother told her before taking the task to his hands.

Elise started to collect information and records for the past seven years inside the Geon Kingdom and what she found out left her dumbfounded.

Everything was tranquil and prosperous inside the Geon Kingdom until a group of merchants came to the Capital to build their branch there. It was called the Silver Fox Mercenary Guild. After that, there was another group that is composed of mages came in and build the Mages Support Guild. After those two, many insignificant merchants and mages all headed towards those two guilds to register or ride their tailcoats. Until bizarre things started to happen for the last few years, that was five years ago.

Three years ago, earthquakes started to shake the parts of the Geon Kingdom's capital and the border of the Elf Kingdom. One year after that, the fissure started to appear at random locations but shows no sign of life whatsoever, the reports showed that it was just a natural disaster and evacuated the people from the fissure areas. Another year past, the appearance of demons started to emerge on the surface and attacks the livestock of both kingdoms, therefore both royalties then mobilized their royal guards to subdue the demons, however, it was a statement situation till present times.

"...Seriously... How can Hyde be such an idiot?"- Elise mumbled to herself with a frown on her red lips. Can't he assess the situation thus far? It's already futile to use her parents' powers against the unending wave of the demons. Isn't it obvious that the dark will be defeated by the light... He needs light attribute magicians... But dark... how does dark magic really work?"- She mumbled to herself while her eyes lingered from the two guilds' names. She stood up from her seat and stood outside the balcony to look for her little brother. 

'Ashur has the dark magic attribute... could it counter the demons? But how and in what why? We need a series of experiments and trials before we could try it out as a safe method to eradicate the demons... but right now... WHERE ARE OUR PARENTS?! It's been weeks and there's still no reply!!' Elise let out a frustrated groan before she looks at the horizon, she never did it before but... is it the time to use it?