Chapter 6

"I'm going to be honest, therapy hasn't never been great for me. This one time, a demon actually posed as a therapist to get into my head and a bunch of bad guys have done the same. I am actually at the point where even the God of Fears and Goddess of Chaos can't even fuck with me." I get comfortable in the chair opposite my latest attempt at some self development.

"Good thing I'm not a therapist, and to be honest with you, Elise, I am a big fan of yours. You saved my brother's life at the battle, and I've heard many tales of your heroics from other patients. When President Ailin approached us regarding a special project, I had to volunteer." He doesn't hide his excitement, his deep voice slightly higher as he seems genuinely interested in this.

"First of all, I can change that. Once you know me you'll be trying to work out how they got it so wrong." I frown. "Also, she marketed this as a special project? What a b-"

"I assure you, I am very professional and apart from opening that line of communication up between us, will keep it strictly business." He writes something down. "So, are you always so quick to deflect praise and put yourself down?"

"Good, wait, what?"

He reminds me of Tom Hanks. His dark eyes are bright and smiling, despite his serious face. There's a gentleness in the way he moves, a precision to them which actually reminds me of how Ailin moves. He's graceful and already has me trying to work out what I just said.

"I paid you a compliment, one any of your kind would be proud to have. You saved a life. You are a hero to many. Yet you think they've got it wrong. Why?"

"For not a therapist, you're very therapisty."

He smiles. "I'm a psychologist. Same same only different. While I did volunteer, so did many colleagues and therapists. Ailin chose me, and here we are. I've read the briefing, but that's not exactly my style. So will you please answer the question, Elise."

And that's how the next hour goes. By the end, I'm mentally and emotionally drained, while Mr Hanks, or Richard as he claims to be called, looks as fresh as when we first started. I hadn't even realised how much time had passed until he wrapped things up and we'd barely even touched on anything I thought I had wanted to talk about. Near-death experiences, realms full of people we call gods here and with the most recent events with Medusa still heavy on my brain, Richard was going to be in for it.

"So, wishing you'd never volunteered yet?" I yawned.

"No, not at all, Elise. As cliche as it may be, how did it feel to simply be free to talk."

I look at him for a second.

He hadn't really said much at all, yet somehow I spent the whole time babbling on about - what did I even say. I wasn't actually sure, but I did, maybe, feel better. About what, I don't know, but I felt something.

"Aren't you supposed to be asking me more questions like that? Did you just find a way to skip doing your job?"

Richard laughed. "Hardly. You go where you need to go. I'm here to listen. I want to help you in the present, but if you feel you need to talk about the past, how you have been, we can work through that too. I'll put the therapist hat on for a second if that helps. Clearly you have some issues with abandonment from your childhood when you were sent to the Academy, and from losing people you care about so young, to the ones you've lost recently."

"Great, we haven't even got into the actual stuff yet and already I can blame my parents for all of this." I stand up. "I knew it!"

"Same time next week then?" He asks.

"So long as you don't turn out to be a demon between now and then." I shrug. "Attempting to kill me would probably ruin this special project."

"Want me to make a note about trust issues?" He's joking, I think.