Chapter 7

Ever so slowly, I let go of Cain's shirt. Mostly because I was holding it so tightly my hands were starting to ache. He hadn't moved, I don't think he was even breathing as he just sat there. I shifted backwards curling up my legs as I hid my face in my hands.

This was a mistake.

I'm sorry, Blueberry.

All I get in response is a new wave of stomach cramps. Of course, why not. I remember the box of ginger pills and leave, getting water and tearing open the box with a quick glance at the instructions. Take two before travel- not helpful. I take three, hoping for the best but apparently, I should start travelling so these things work or maybe look at taking them in advance.

The only travel I get to do now is back to the bathroom and I barely make it in time.

"Fucking. Ginger. Chocolate Cake. This is bullshit."

There are few times in my life when I actually wished to die. This was one of them and just when things couldn't get worse, I felt a hand on my back, another gathering my hair and a shadow formed beside me filling the space between the wall and the toilet.

"You okay?" Cain asks gently.

I groan, resting my head on my forearm. "Please let me die in peace."

"You're not dying. Even if you were, I wouldn't let you."

"Cain, I-" I hold up a hand, take a deep breath and since I know that would be the truth, I wished to disappear instead.

"Don't." He soothes, rubbing my back as I close my eyes for round two. "So, this is where you've been hiding out lately. I can see why. The acoustics are decent. You really get to enjoy the full experience."

"I hate you."

We sat there for a while.

"You done?" I shrug, looking at him through blurry eyes I blink a few times to try and focus. "Come here."

He pulls me towards him and I go with it. I close my eyes as he kisses my forehead, and rest against him.

"I'm so yuck right now." I groan. "I need to brush my teeth."

"If it helps, I've seen you throw up many times and once even onto me." His hand slides over my face and I don't miss the taste of mint in my mouth. "Better?"

"For now."

"We really do need to talk, don't we?" He says slowly.

"I take it back. I'm not better. How long will that give me?" I look up at him as he kisses me again. "Like an hour? A few days?"

"What about a free pass for the last couple of weeks?"

"I'll take the deal."

"Good choice. Did you want to stay here or can we go somewhere a little more comfortable?"

"You don't like cold tiles with a lingering aroma of partially digested chocolate cake, and pure suffering?" I sigh, turning to hold onto him.

Sure enough, we're back on the bed in the blink of an eye. We sit there for a minute and slowly I lean back to look at him. I take a breath, opening my mouth to try and work out what to say, but from the slightly unimpressed look on his face, I think I've said enough. His brows dip, those worry lines returning and I brace myself for whatever is next. I'm not expecting him to grab my leg, come forward and then pull me closer so I'm sitting against him. He guides my arms up, dropping them over his shoulders and I don't need any more hints. Cheek to cheek, I hold Cain as tightly as he holds me.

"I should have guessed from your questions the other day, especially with how weird you've been." He sighed. "I just never thought to suspect it. A baby. I didn't expect to be having this talk for a while."