Chapter 7 [part 2]

I won't lie about it, that night I couldn't sleep.

My mind kept creating different scenarios about what would happen the next morning. I wanted to believe in Russell, but after all I had lived through, it was hard to trust anyone's words, even if he was my own savior.

I got up early, got ready quietly and spent a few minutes staring at the interior walls of the yellow house. There was a chance that that was the last time I would be there, and if so, I wanted to capture every detail in my memory. Just in case.

'Good morning Milaia.' Cara was always in a good mood, I admired her for being so positive in times like these.

'Good morning,' I smiled at her the best I could. The nerves must have been reflected in my face, because then she asked me.

'Is everything all right?'

'Yes, I'm going out with Russell today to explore Crescendo.'

'Again? I know it's a beautiful Kingdom but there's really not that much to see. I thought you'd already seen it all.'

I hold on tightly to the chair to disguise the shaking of my nervous body as I watched her prepare breakfast with her usual magic.

'Apparently not'. I said, without knowing what else to say.

Cara did not comment further on it. She continued the conversation by telling me some gossip. Most of the time I didn't understand who she was referring to, but I never missed the opportunity to hear her speak. She was a mother figure and I was grateful to have her. A few minutes passed before Russell came out of his room.

'Mother, Milaia and I won't be having breakfast today, we have to go out and run some errands.'

'Milaia told me you were going to explore Crescendo, and now you tell me something else. If you're going to lie to me, get your act together.'

It was true, we were lying, but I had done it unconsciously, I didn't know we were going to hide the reason for our absence from her.

The nerves were getting stronger with every second that passed.

'Mom...'

'Take some fruit at least and be careful, I don't want any more trouble.' She looked directly at Russell as if she was warning him to watch his actions.

'We'll be fine.' He smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek. 'Shall we, my lady?'

I got up with my legs shaking. I took an apple from the table and something else, without them noticing, and smiled at Cara.

'Thank you, Cara, see you later.' I was really looking forward to seeing her again.

We walked for an eternity, well, perhaps I exaggerate by the intrigue I felt.

During the whole walk, I did not think for a moment about escaping, after all, we were still in Crescendo. There I felt safe. And if he tried anything else, I had a knife in my boot.

I wouldn't let him take me.

'Can you tell me where we're going? You told me we were going to a new place I hadn't seen but then you said something different to your mom, why don't you tell me where we're going?'

He didn't look at me when he answered.

'Surprises are so much more fun, you need a little excitement in your life, don't you think?' 

'Excitement? Don't you think I've had enough? Or do you forget that I had to escape from my Kingdom?'

'I could never forget that.'

There was sadness and something else in his voice, something I could not discern. I hoped, I really prayed to the Gods, that I had not been wrong about him. You can trust Russell Laoch. I didn't sense evil in his eyes, or in his manner of being, so I kept walking, trusting my heart more than my mind.

I had been so busy thinking that I hadn't paid attention to the path we had taken, much less where it had led.

Finally, we arrived at the mysterious place.

'We are here', he said.

It was a cave. I was so nervous about a cave?

In front of it was the woman I had seen talking to Russell, Galaga. Next to her, there was another woman. Her eyes, lips, nose were marvelous, a beautiful face that looked sculpted. Her hair was black and straight. She was wearing pants, the same color as her hair and a pink shirt. As soon as she saw me, she smiled.

Russell stepped forward and introduced us

'Galaga, Tryx, this is Milaia'.

They both lowered their heads.

'Is a pleasure to meet you,' I extended my hand to them. They looked at each other without understanding whether they should take it or not. I waited until I greeted them both.

'Now, can somebody tell me what the hell are we doing here?' I looked at Russell, he seemed nervous.

'I like her already,' Galaga said.

'She's exactly how I imagined her,' Tryx said. Her tone of voice was low, not matching her soft features.

'Are you talking about me?' I asked in confusion.

'You still haven't told her, Russell? Do I have to do everything for you, jackass?' Galaga pushed him back. Russell grabbed his shoulder. She seemed to have enough strength to disturb someone like Russell.

'Tell me what?'

'We have to get something out of the cave, it's hard to explain,' Galaga said. 'Russell told us about your ability to find things in the dark, animals, places, we thought maybe you could help us.'

I trusted Russell, but I wouldn't go in without knowing a little more.

'A few days ago, I heard a story that, in this very cave, lies an incredible treasure, with everything you can imagine.' Tryx's voice was so deep and mellow that it trapped you like a spider's web. 'No one ever dared to enter, because it is said that there is dark magic inside. We're not afraid, and we need the money. What do you think? Do you want to come in with us?'

I found it hard to believe that three adults would buy the story that there was a treasure hidden in the cave, but on the other hand, I was excited about the idea of an adventure with Russell's friends. After several days of strange behavior, he had invited me to spend the day with people he considered important. I wouldn't spoil it.

'Who goes first?'