Chapter 18 [part 2]

My breath rushed at a ceaseless pace.

'What are you saying? I have a deal with your father, we will get married, we will have the heir and in return he will restore the magic and release...'.

He didn't let me finish.

He rose from the throne and faced me on his feet. He placed his crown against his hair and watched me from top to bottom.

'None of that is going to happen the way you wanted it to, you see, the plans have changed.'

He ran a hand across my cheek. It was completely filled with gold rings. Why did he have so many jewels? Why did he have the King's crown?

'I hadn't noticed your beauty the first time I saw you. What a pity it's going to waste.'

'I want to see your father.'

I never thought I would wish to see Lucius as I did at that moment. It seems that the monsters overcome each other on different levels of terror.

'My father is indisposed,' he continued to stroke my cheek, now extending to my chin. 'It's just you and me here, we can do whatever we want. Before I kill you, of course.'

Hit him. The voice reappeared inside me.

And almost as if the command was given, I raised my knee and struck him right in the middle of...

Prince Jonah fell back from the pain, shouting obscenities at me.

'I said I want to see your father, and don't you ever touch me like that again,' I said, this time in a cold tone.

'You have passion, I like it, if I didn't have to kill you, I would surely make you my lover. But I repeat, my father is not here.'

'We had a deal, if he doesn't show up right now...'

'What are you going to do?'

A recognizable voice spoke to me from behind.

I turned around alert and found...

Marco.

What was he doing here?

'You were right, she is not a lady at all,' Jonah said to my brother Marco.

Marco smiled at me like he always did when Dad defended him for no reason. He walked towards the Prince and knelt before him. Why was he showing so much respect for Jonah?

'Marco Pleiton, my promise will be fulfilled, fear not. No matter what tricks she resorts to, she will not be saved,' said Prince Jonah.

And now what was I supposed to do?

I tried to understand the scene.

My brother Marco kneeling before the Prince. The Prince saying he would keep his promise. There was not much doubt left in my mind.

'She has to suffer, she deserves to suffer as much as possible.' Marcus would not take his eyes off mine.

I could never understand why he hated me; I understood it even less now. I didn't understand how he could have all this resentment towards his own sister. He did not know that he was not my blood brother.

'You are right,' Jonah replied. 'Bring them in,' he said, and instantly the doors I had entered opened.

Through them, all the men who came with me, including Aaron and Russell, were bound hand and foot, with their mouths covered, prisoners of the guards of Bieno.

'Release them now,' I demanded, realizing my disadvantage.

I saw the panic on each of the prisoners' faces.