Chapter 10 [part 1]

His smile gave me the creeps. That man or being or whatever he was could see beyond all of us. I wondered what he was seeing when he dug into my eyes. His voice must have been recognized in the rest of the house, as not only Tryx, but also Galaga came into the room at once.

'What's that thing doing here?' Galaga said almost with a grunt.

'I can't believe he came out of his territory,' said Tryx hiding behind her friend.

Syform quickly identified them with his eyes and addressed them individually.

'Russell, knight in shining armor, Galaga, warrior of the sun, and Tryx, healer of the earth, a pleasure to see you too.

The three of them froze at the sound of his words. Everything he said was a prediction, everything he said meant something else.

'Now, would you grant me a few seconds alone with the intriguing Miss Milaia?'

'No, we are not going to leave her alone with you.' Russell reinforced his place next to me.

'If you're all here, I won't say anything, too bad for you my dear,' he told me and started humming to himself.

I wasn't going to let anything or anyone ruin the chance to know a little more about what had happened, any information was spectacularly valuable. First, I took care of Russell, looked at him directly and squeezed his hand. He lowered his head and snorted, let go of my hand and walked towards the door. Then I looked at Galaga and Tryx, who, for some strange reason, didn't argue with me, they just walked out and closed the door.

'Look at you, a true leader.' Syform said with a smile.

'We are alone, now speak.'

Syform walked back and forth, zigzagging across the room. He looked nervous, could it be that he was?

'I don't seem to find the right words... it's... confusing... it's...the trees move in time with the wind when the truth rumbles against them.'

The words came out one after the other without any meaning and were interspersed with a strange melody that sounded familiar.

'Syform, come here.' I said, reaching out my hand.

He stopped and approached carefully.

His hand was shaking when he gave it to me. If I really had powers, then I would use them for more than just knocking people down. If I could really heal external scars, maybe I could also heal the ones that are not seen.

You'll be fine Syform, you'll be fine.

Syform's face lit up, as if it had been given water after years of not drinking any liquid. His eyes filled with life, and I swear I could see a smile reflected in his pupils.

'Thank you little one.' He whispered and released my hand very slowly.

I didn't quite know what I had done to change his expression in that way, but whatever it was, I was glad I did it.

'Now, can you tell me what happened in the cave?'

'Don't you know already? As soon as I felt that the cave of memories had been opened, I assumed that the truth was common knowledge.'

'The Cave of Memories?'

'King Gelon kept his last days inside that cave, and prepared it just so a very special person could see it. That is why none of us mere servants could enter, only you were allowed. If you want to see what you did not see, you must return alone, my lady.'

'But I don't know how I got out, I just know I was in a lot of pain and couldn't resist it.'

'Life never gives us more than we can bear, I think you underestimate your strength.'

My legs trembled at the thought of returning to that place. The feeling of being a ghost was not pleasant, it was not at all something I wanted to repeat. But if that was the only way to find out what to do, how to help them, I had to try.

Syform smiled and looked at me in the same way that he had looked at the King in whatever happened in the cave.

'Now, this has been fun, but I'm off to prepare for what's to come. Always a pleasure to see you, my lady.'

And in the blink of an eye, Syform evaporated before me. As soon as he disappeared, I tried to get out of bed. I looked for my boots and put them on. I went out to meet those who had respected to stay away.

'I will return to the cave.' I said quietly, although everyone could hear me.

All the Laochs were present, including Aaron and Rich, who looked at me with suspicion, I would even say with fear.

'We'll go with you,' Russell stepped forward to anyone who could talk to me first.

'No, I must do it alone.'

'Whatever you say Milaia.' Galaga took Russell's arm and he nodded in complete resignation to my decision.

I walked slowly between them, heading for the door. I ignored the watchful eyes of Aaron and Rich and hid completely from Fred's gaze. I didn't even want to imagine what they were thinking of me, but if I had to guess, I knew it wasn't good. I had become something no one could explain. I had become a danger.

I made the same journey for the third time. Being alone in the woods of Crescendo was not scary, it felt safe even in the deep silence of the night.

My breath was shaking as I approached the place. I knew what awaited me, but that didn't mean it was easier to face it, in fact, I was more scared than the first time. All this seemed to come from one of the books I loved to read so much, fantasy books with past legends of magic and adventure. I was living a fantasy story.

No matter how scared I was, I knew I had to keep walking. I needed to see the truth with my own eyes. I needed to go back to the cave and end the mystery once and for all.

And sooner than I expected, there I was, in front of the cave. "Life never gives us more than we can bear." That phrase gave me the strength to carry on. I had survived the loss of my mother, the years of mistreatment by my brother and father, the King's condemnation, the escape from my Kingdom. This would not win me over. This would not be stronger than me.

The darkness embraced me more strongly than the first time. It didn't take me long to get to the door.

I opened it, trying not to be afraid of whatever I might see on the other side. I opened it without yet believing that I was the salvation of Crescendo.

I recognized the place instantly. It was the throne room again. The King was on his throne, he looked tired and sad, as if his life had been tinged with gray. Could these be his memories? And if they were, why did he have to show them to me? Why these in particular? 

'Your Majesty.'

I heard a female voice, a voice that sounded like a dream. A voice that I could have recognized at any time and any place.

It was her voice.

It was my mother's voice.