Part 56: Breakfast with the Empress

When Sansa stepped out onto the large garden terrace, the morning sun was already high in the eastern sky. One had a wonderful view of the roofs of Volantis and the sea. In the midst of fragrant lemon trees stood an elongated table, which was set with grapes, cakes, a large, sliced loaf of white bread, quark, honey, hard-boiled eggs without shell, salmon fillet slices, caviar, pancakes, scrambled eggs with bacon, ham, rolls, jams and butter. There were also several porcelain jugs filled with milk, tea, and perhaps wine.

Seven chairs were placed around the table, one at each end, two on one side, three on the other.

Daenerys Targaryen sat in the middle seat on the side with the three chairs, the city, the sea, and the horizon behind her. She wore a white, sleeveless silk dress without a neckline. It was similar to the one Sansa had chosen for the occasion, only the queen's dress was light green.

Since the palace was built on a hill, the terrace was on the same level as the battlements of the Black Wall. There Drogon and two smaller dragons with blue scales had made themselves comfortable. Sansa fancied Drogon was watching her warily from afar.

Except for Daenerys, nobody was at the table yet. Strangely enough, next to the chair on the right side of the table was a harp with silver strings.

"Your Grace", said the Empress. "Please sit down. The others are coming soon. Did you already have breakfast?"

"No, Your Imperial Majesty", Sansa replied politely and sat down on one of the two chairs across from Daenerys. Despite her nervousness, her mouth watered at the delicious smell of the food. She wondered who the "others" were.

"Then enjoy the food", said the silver-haired woman. "Do you prefer... Ah, there they are."

Sansa turned in her chair - and almost jumped up.

Arya was less reluctant. She ran to her sister and then fell into her arms. The younger Stark seemed unharmed, although she was a little paler than Sansa remembered her. Arya wore simple black trousers and a light fabric tunic of the same color.

"Arya, are you okay?", Sansa asked breathlessly.

"I wanted to ask you that", she replied and grinned.

The Empress assessed Arya with her violet-blue eyes. "I can count on you not to try to stab me with the bread knife, can I, princess?"

Arya nodded silently. Given that the Imperial Guard kept an eye on the terrace, such an attempt would be more than foolish, not least because it would endanger Sansa.

And besides, one of the two men who had come with Arya was Jaqen H'ghar. The other was Gendry Baratheon.

"Lord Gendry." Daenerys gave the tall, handsome young man, wearing a yellow doublet with the coat of arms of his house, a bright smile. "How nice to see that you have recovered from your injuries."

"Th... Thank you, Majesty", Gendry stammered, blushing, and took a seat on the left side of the table while Arya sat down next to Sansa.

"Princess Arya already knows Jaqen H'ghar", said the Empress with a look at the handsome, red-haired man with the white streak. He wore a gray robe with a hood, which he had turned back. A green dragon chick sat on his shoulder.

"This gentleman is full of surprises", Daenerys continued, while Jaqen took the chair next to the harp. "He's a Faceless Man, then it turns out that there is enough Valyrian blood in his veins for a dragon to bind to him - and yesterday I learned how beautiful he can play the harp. What's next?"

Gendry glanced at Jaqen over the table when Daenerys casually mentioned he was one of the most dangerous assassins in the world.

"Don't worry, Lord Gendry", smiled the Empress. "He won't kill anyone today. Probably."