Part 75: Back in the capital

The three dragons were now heading for the central old town center of Volantis, surrounded by the Black Wall and in which stood many palaces, each more magnificent than the next. The mightiest of them was taller than Winterfell, maybe even as tall as Harrenhal. It had numerous towers, domes, courtyards and terraces. Drogon flew to the largest of these terraces. When the dragon started to land, a crowd of servants and guards, Chancellor Doniphos Paenymion and Grey Worm, were already waiting there.

"Your Imperial Majesty, I hope you had a pleasant journey", said Doniphos with a slight bow as Daenerys slid out of the saddle. "Were the negotiations successful?"

The Empress allowed herself a slight grin. "The trip was pleasant, thanks for asking. As for the negotiations..."

"What is this traitor doing here?", Grey Wurm wanted to know and pierced Jon, who was now also climbing down from Drogon, with a hard look.

"You forget yourself, Field Marshal", Daenerys rebuked him. "Your future Emperor stands before you."

Daenerys smirked at the perplexed expressions around her. "This is my nephew Aegon Targaryen, better known as Jon Snow", she explained, as only Grey Worm knew him. "I got engaged to him in Braavos." She gave Chancellor Paenymion a bright smile. "Since you have insisted so much that I should get married, you should be satisfied now."

"Um...", said Doniphos. "You certainly have a lot to tell us, Your Majesty."

"Yeah, but let me have a few hours with my family first, okay?"

Rhaegar and Viserys had now also dismounted from their dragons and looked curiously at Jon.

"Lord Snow", said the Chancellor, a thin man with gray hair, a neatly trimmed beard and dark blue silk robe, with a fine smile. "I've heard so much about you."

"Pleased to meet you", Jon replied coolly. He was sweating on his forehead, not because he was nervous, but because the heat plagued him. "And you are...?"

"Doniphos Paenymion, Her Majesty's Imperial Chancellor", he introduced himself. "You already know Field Marshal Gray Worm. This lady here", he pointed to a woman with curly hair and a piercing look, "is Dimazza Yhae, the Secretary of State for Intelligence..."

"We can all introduce ourselves later", interrupted the Empress.

"As you wish, Your Majesty." The Chancellor, Grey Worm and the others left the terrace.

"Rhaegar, Viserys", Daenerys said gently to her sons, indicating Jon. "This is your father."

"We know that", said Viserys.

"He must be our father", Rhaegar added firmly. "Unless you have a second nephew who is also called Jon Snow, Mom."

Jon laughed at Dany's expression and then turned to his sons. They had their mother's purple eyes, but otherwise they were younger versions of their father. Standing in front of them now was an indescribable feeling.

"Hello", he said hesitantly and crouched down. "I wish we could have met earlier."

One of the boys nodded wisely. "Yes. But it couldn't be earlier. At first mom was so angry with you that she would have fed you to Drogon, then the war came."

"Rhaegar!", said Dany sharply. "Be polite to your father!"

Jon just laughed. "But he's telling the truth, isn't he?"

"He will be the Emperor one day", said Dany. "It is time he learned to be diplomatic..."

There was an impatient bark from the box attached to Drogon's saddle and Jon jumped up.