Part 67: To the sky

Empress Daenerys appeared at the negotiating table two hours late today. She had seemed in good spirits to Tyrion. Neither the dwarf, nor the Queen of the North, nor Sam had spoken to Daenerys about Jon, but their nervousness had been palpable.

In the evening they went back to the 'The Sealord's mug', where they were relieved to find Jon, who was sitting at a table and scratching Ghost's remaining ear.

"So you're still alive", Sam remarked dryly.

"So how was it?", Sansa wanted to know.

"She forgave me", Jon said simply.

"It was still unreasonable of you", Tyrion sighed. "And how should it go on now? Does she let you see your sons?"

"Dany says I can visit them in Volantis at any time. Unfortunately I will find it difficult to combine that with my duties as Lord Commander, and Dany has no intention of letting the boys go to Westeros. She fears for their safety."

"We'll find a solution", said Tyrion.

"How long do you want to stay in Braavos?", asked Sam.

"A couple of days. I still have to acquire the supplies for the Night's Watch and have them transported to my ship. I also want to speak to Daenerys at least one more time before I leave."

Sansa took a deep breath. "You would like to stay with her."

"I don't know if Dany even wants that", Jon replied. "Apart from that, I am now on the Night's Watch again. It would be deserting."

"Nobody in Essos cares if you're a deserter from the Night's Watch", said Tyrion. "However, you would be in trouble if you ever return to Westeros."

"Do you love her?", Sam asked bluntly.

Jon was silent for a while. Then he said: "Yes. She has done terrible things, burned people alive, wiped out an entire city ... but I still love her and if there was a chance I would spend the rest of my life with her."

"Unfortunately, life is not a song", said Sansa. "Apart from that, you belong in the North."

Sam cleared his throat. "And that she is your aunt ... that doesn't bother you anymore?"

"I have already fathered children with her. I think the resulting obligation outweighs the fact that she is my birth father's sister."

"And what does she say about your dream?", Tyrion wanted to know.

"That she will be careful."

This morning Dany felt so great as she hadn't in a long time. She had seen Jon again yesterday and despite everything that had happened, there was still love between him and her. Since Jon was part of the Night's Watch, he couldn't come to Volantis, but Daenerys was already thinking about arranging further meetings in Braavos.

Since the fog was a little less thick today than usual, the Empress decided to fly a few laps over the city with Drogon. At Kinvara's urging, she wore Flame on her belt. Since the dream Jon had and the vision of King Bran coincided with what the High Priestess had seen in the flames, the matter had to be taken seriously. Two dragons fighting over the roofs of Braavos. It still didn't make sense to Dany. The only dragons in the world were Drogon and his descendants, and they had no reason to fight.

Dany climbed onto the back of her dragon, climbed into the saddle, and buckled her legs. At the beginning of the World War she had already started using a saddle when flying because it was simply safer for her. After double checking each of the loops that held her legs in place, Daenerys told Drogon to rise into the clouded sky.

In the distance, Kenzai saw the Empress's black dragon soar. Of course, from his hiding place in the hills, he couldn't see if Daenerys was sitting on Drogon's back. But surely she enjoyed flying as much as he did.

"The time has come, my loyal companion", he says to his huge red dragon. He climbed Hi-no-uroko's back.