CHAPTER FIVE

"Well you hardly know me, Riddle," she mimicked his tone.

"That," he looked her up and down, "is correct." He peered over at the splotches of black ink in the margins of her book, furrowing his brows. "Now, why are you vandalising your textbook?"

Evelyn shut her book, sliding it into her robe pocket, "well, firstly I wouldn't call it vandalism, the book belongs to me, and secondly, I am making notes."

"Interesting," Tom said.

"What is?"

"Well," he began, "I would personally find it rather embarrassing to require extra notes simply to pass my OWL exams, but I guess some Ravenclaws simply aren't as intelligent as legend has it."

"Excuse me!" She scoffed, standing up so she was directly in front of him. "I'll have you know I am very intelligent, possibly even the best witch in our year!" She wasn't entirely sure how true that was, but it didn't matter to her.

"Possibly, but I am certainly the best student in our year." With that, he simply left. He gave Evelyn no chance to respond before he turned hot on his heel and made his way out of the courtyard.

"Evelyn! What was that all about?" She heard the familiar voice of Sara giggling behind her. "Tell me everything!" She squeezed her best friends arm.

"He was simply informing me that he is smarter than me as if I wasn't already aware of that fact." She rolled her eyes.

Sara batted her eyelashes, fixing her hair with one hand and applying a fresh coat of lipstick with the other. "Do you think he noticed me when I walked into the courtyard?"

"Oh absolutely," Evelyn lied to her friend, Tom seemed more interested in the moss growing on the walls than in Sara but she couldn't crush her best friends spirits. "Is Lily not done yet?"

"No, she dropped her first phial so she's had to redo the whole Potion! She will probably only just make it to Charms on time!"

"Speaking of, we should probably go."

Evelyn led the way out of the courtyard and the pair made their way across the castle towards the Charms Classroom. Charms had always been one of her favourite lessons, she adored how one wand could hold such power, it could cause destruction or peace, depending on how the user chose and that was simply incredible.

By the time the duo arrived outside the classroom, Lily was waiting for them. "How are you done so quickly? I thought you would take ages!"

"I stole some of my partners, there was no way I would get it done in time and I didn't exactly fancy detention!"

"Well, it's good your here because I want to go find Tom so you can keep Evelyn company in Charms," Sara gave the pair a quick smile before she darted out of the corridor.

Lily and Evelyn exchanged a confused look. "I guess it will just be us two then."

They took their usual seats, pulled out their parchment and quills and waited in silence. Once all the students had done the same, Professor Blackburn stored into the classroom with far more excitement than Professor Slughorn had displayed.

"As all of you know, you will be taking your Charms OWL this year, there will be one written part and one part practical, we will start today with some very simple revision questions to prepare you." He smiled at the class, waving his wand over the pile of parchment causing it to float around the room, one piece placing itself in front of each student.

Evelyn knew this work would be a breeze, something about Charms came so naturally to her. She pulled out her quill from her bag and dipped it into the pot of glistening ink, slowly beginning to write and form answers in her mind to each question. After gathering answers in her mind, she transferred them onto the parchment with ease. Within half an hour, Evelyn was done. She sat back and watched as the other students worked away on their questions, each one scribbling away hurriedly on their parchment.