CHAPTER ELEVEN

Evelyn found the next day flying before her eyes. Classes were either cut short or went so fast that Evelyn barely felt as though she was even in them. By six o'clock that evening, there was not a single student outside of their common room, every single one was inside preparing for the night to come. Although the Christmas Party had initially started as being exclusively for members of the Slug Club, Professor Slughorn had been convinced by Headmaster Dippet to extend the invitation to all students, meaning that Sara and Lily would be able to come after all.

Preparation began for Evelyn as soon as class ended. Once she was in her common room, she snuck into the bathroom, claiming it for a calming soak. Bathing was a chance for Evelyn to clear her mind; as the water drained out of the bath, it was as though all of her problems went away with it. Evelyn soaked herself for what felt like hours until her skin began to prune and the water began to turn her nails blue. Briskly, she dried herself off and headed back into her dorm where Lily and Sara were already getting ready. She slid onto the bed with her friends and began applying her makeup.

When Evelyn was ready, her face had been painted and her dress flowed as she walked. "You look wonderful Evelyn." Lily beamed at her as she got up from the bed, her own turquoise dress hugging her hips.

"You too," Evelyn smiled at her two best friends, who sat looking more beautiful than ever on their bed. Despite wanting to stay and appreciate her friends further, Evelyn despised being tardy and she knew Tom did as well. She wasn't sure how attending the party with Tom would work but she assumed she would be to meet him prior outside the Great Hall. "I have to go early, I assume Tom will be waiting for me."

As Evelyn hurried through the corridors, she felt her heart racing, she barely knew why she agreed to attend with him considering that before September the two had likely not exchanged more than one word. Every step fuelled the anxiety inside her body, sending a hurricane coursing through her veins. As soon as she saw Tom, everything stopped. It was only him and her in the world; nothing else mattered. Evelyn locked onto her target, making her way towards him with a smile.

"You got my dress then." His eyes met with hers, "it looks nice."

"I was surprised to see it, it doesn't seem like the kind of gesture you would usually perform," she admitted truthfully to him.

"Well, it is a special occasion, I thought I ought to treat you after seeing the disappointing options for you at Gladrags Wizardwear." Evelyn almost thought he was being heartfelt. " After all, I didn't want to be seen with someone who looked noticeably worse than me."

She rolled her eyes, "how considerate of you..." Tom extended his hand to hers, "and what do you expect me to do with that?"

"Take it." And so she did, and before she could say another word, she felt herself being whisked away into the centre of the Great Hall. "Now, we dance."

Evelyn did not know how to dance, but Tom took the lead. Neither of them said a word, their eyes simply meeting each other was enough; the slow music twirled like a thread around them, pulling them closer together. Somehow, their bodies moved as one and it felt as though the world was melting away from them.

In the corner of her eye, Evelyn spotted Lily and Sara dancing together and as much as she longed to dance with them, it was as though an invisible string stopped her from leaving. As they spun, Evelyn glanced up at the enchanted ceiling, watching it spin as she twirled across the dance floor. Emerald, crimson and gold fabrics hung from the ceilings, intertwining as the wind blew in across through the open windows, as Evelyn spun, the colours merged to form one, their energies erupting from their centre as though they were a thousand fairies.

Evelyn felt so at peace she barely noticed when the music had stopped. "Let's sit." Tom said, taking her hand and leading her to one of the empty tables. "Tell me about your parents."

Evelyn was taken aback by his question. His voice was quiet, yet confident; his eyes locking onto hers as though she were his prey. "They were great wizards." She paused, looking at Tom who leant in closer towards her. "They worked as Aurors for the Ministry after they left Hogwarts. They died a year ago."

"How?"

"In a muggle accident, someone hit them with their automobile." Evelyn shivered, recalling the moment that her grandmother had told her of their fate.

Tom looked her up and down for a few moments of uncomfortbale silence, "Evelyn, I do not believe that is true."

"Tom. You weren't there." Evelyn rolled her eyes at his remark. "It's true."

"It isn't Evelyn. Did you see it happen? No, you didn't." His face remained calm despite Evelyns voice beginning to shake as she spoke. "Your grandmother lied to you."

"No, you're lying." By this point, tears had begun to form in her eyes, threatening to fall as she spoke.

"What would I gain from lying Evelyn?"

"Why would you tell me this?" Evelyn couldn't stop the tears from falling from her eyes. "If you knew then why did you even bother asking me?"

"I wanted to know what your grandmother had told you, I wanted to see what lie they had convinced you to believe. Your grandmother manipulated you," he spoke with such confidence it frightened her, "she is hiding something from you, from everyone. Why would she hide how your parents died?"

Evelyn took a deep breath. "It doesn't make any sense."

Tom looked at her intently, "often the truth doesn't."

"I don't believe you," she spoke with as much strength as she could muster, rising from her seat.

"I didn't expect you to." He stood as well, "perhaps you ought to ask your grandmother over the Christmas holidays."

"I will!" She almost shouted as she stormed out of the Great Hall, who was he to tell her what was and wasn't true about her own family?

Although she felt calmer, Evelyn knew she could not return to the Great Hall; if she did, not only would she have to face Tom, but also Lily and Sara. Deciding the best place for her would be her dormitory, she made her way through the corridors, doing her best to avoid Peeves, and headed into her dormitory. As soon as she spotted her bed, she threw herself onto it, hey eyelids falling shut as she slipped into an uneasy slumber.

Tom Riddle wandered through the castle with a menacing look plastered across his face. His wand was out and positioned ready to attack his next unsuspecting victim. His shoes were silent against the tiled floor, his movements slow and steady.

Evelyn had just awoken from a painful nightmare and had decided to take a stroll through the castle. Nobody was ever in the corridors this late so it gave her time to think as she felt the cool air against her bare legs.

She took her usual path through the castle, strolling around the common rooms yet ensuring she was close enough to the Ravenclaw Tower to quickly dart inside at the sign of a teacher. The corridors were dark, Evelyn having to squint to find her path through the castle. A few metres away, Tom Riddle turned the corner, coming face to face with Evelyn.

"Tom," She began with a quivering voice, "You have to understand. I had no other choice."

"Don't. Evelyn, you defied my trust, and you defied me." He snapped. "You made a big mistake Evelyn."

"No please." She pleaded as he aimed his wand at her.

"It has to be done," He said plainly. "Avada Kedavra"