CHAPTER TEN

Evelyn was filled with excitement once she spotted the other fifth-years gathered in the courtyard, ready for their trip to Hogsmeade. As soon as Evelyn entered the crowds, she felt the crisp winters air nipping at her nose, turning it a light crimson.

Evelyn's eyes scanned over the crowds in search of Lily and Sara, "Evelyn," she spotted Tom Riddle stood across from her, wrapped tightly in a winters coat.

"Tom, anything, in particular, you're hoping to find in Hogsmeade?"

He looked her up and down, "I wouldn't be opposed to some new dress robes, I suppose you'll be searching for a dress too..."

Evelyn nodded, "yes, that would be ideal!"

As soon as he spotted Lily and Sara heading in her direction, Tom disappeared into the crowd once more, out of Evelyn's view. "I can't wait for a hot chocolate!" Lily said with a smile, taking one of each of her best friends hands.

"Me neither!"

"A hot chocolate sounds perfect right about now," Evelyn knew a hot chocolate would be enough to warm her up and fuel her for the day of shopping ahead.

After a short journey, the students all arrived at Hogsmeade, disbanding as soon as they saw the familiar shops in the distance. Evelyn, Lily and Sara all made a beeline straight for Madam Puddifoots, eager for the chocolaty goodness that awaited them.

The trio took seats at their usual table, Lily heading off to order the three hot chocolates. "Mm, they smell incredible!" She muttered airily as she made her way back to the table and placed one before each of her friends.

"What kind of dress do you want for the ball?" Sara asked as she began to drop sugar cubes into her drink.

"It has to be simple, I don't think I would look good in anything too fancy."

"Whatever it is, you'll look great. Maybe the ball will be the perfect chance to find yourself a boyfriend," Lily smiled mischievously at her.

Evelyn smiled back, taking one last swig of her hot chocolate and getting up from her seat. "I very much doubt that!"

"I want to go to Honeydukes!" Lily smiled as she thought about the rows upon rows of chocolate delights she could purchase.

Sara could feel her mouth beginning to water, "I do too!"

The thought of confectionery made Evelyn feel sick. "How about you two go and then meet me at Gladrags Wizardwear whenever you're done?"

Lily looked seriously at her friend, "are you sure you'll be okay alone?"

"Of course I will."

Evelyn made her way out of Madam Puddifoots and into the snowy streets of Hogsmeade, once she spotted Gladrags Wizardwear, she made her way towards it, walking carefully in the snow as to avoid any accidents. Just as Evelyn was about to step inside, she spotted Tom making his way out, "find your dress robes?"

Tom lifted the bag in his hands, "indeed I did. I assume you're here for a dress, I almost wouldn't bother, they certainly aren't up to my taste."

"I think you'll find we likely have largely different tastes, Tom." She knew that for sure, whatever he had seen and been disappointed by would surely be enough to please her, she simply wanted something plain and easy.

"Perhaps," he held open the door for her, keeping his arm on the doorway to prevent her entrance. "Evelyn, I was wondering if you might like to come with me?"

"To the party?"

"Well, yes."

Evelyn furrowed her brow, "but I am attending anyway, why should I require your invite?" Evelyn realized her mistake once the words had left her mouth.

He growled under his breath, "I think it would look good for us to attend together, two of the brightest students at Hogwarts, it would please Professor Slughorn I'm sure of it."

"Then yes, I suppose that would be agreeable." She moved his arm from the doorway, "now excuse me whilst I find something to wear."

By the time Evelyn had surveyed the whole shops offerings, she realized Tom was right. Although Evelyn had wanted something simple, she couldn't help but feel let down by how simple the dresses Gladrags had to offer.

"Evelyn! Did you find anything yet?" Lily asked as she bundled into the shop carrying far more than she should have.

"No luck," she gestured to her empty hands.

"Let me help!" Sara thrusted the two bags she was holding into Evelyn's hands and got to work. Within a few minutes, she had collected several dresses that Evelyn despised, "Here, try these few on!" She smiled as she took a seat beside Lily. "We'll wait here for you."

Evelyn dropped Sara's bags outside the dressing room and hesitantly made her way in, she already knew she would dislike the dresses before she tried them on but there was no harm in trying. After she had slid on each dress, she made her way out, gave her friends a spin and quickly placed it in a reject pile. She spent far too long for her liking inside the shop, trying on countless frocks that made her feel hideous.

"We'll find something else. You have to have something that we can make work back at the castle." Lily smiled but all three girls knew that was an unlikely event. Evelyn had a plan wardrobe with only one formal dress that she had likely grown out of.

"Never mind. Something will have to work." Evelyn handed the dresses off to the shop assistant with a polite smile, taking her friends hands and leading them out of the shop. Hand in hand, the girls made their way back to the castle through the snow, throwing themselves into their beds almost instantly boxed they arrived at their dorms.

Only once Evelyn got up to go to the bathroom did she spot a brown paper package beside her bed. On a small piece of stretched card, there was a note.

I can't take a girl to a dance without a dress.

Grasping hold of the string, she pulled it up, revealing a black dress folded inside it. Evelyn lifted out the dress, twisting it in her hands to inspect every inch of it. It was a long, silky dress with slit carefully position up the side. Turning it around, Evelyn saw the clear focal point of the dress; a golden snake slithering up the exposed back. Despite adoring the dress, Evelyn found herself feeling unsure about it. Tom Riddle wasn't the sort of person that gave out gifts, especially not to her.