CHAPTER ONE.

━━━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━━━

the tarnished gates blew in the wind as the cab got closer to the house, metals clanging like rusted chimes that had lost their voice.

the young girl squinted. maybe the house wouldn't be so scary blurry.

it wasn't.

"there it is," y/n's mother looked up at the mansion.

"do we have to stay here?" she whispered.

"we've been over this, darling. no one else would take us."

y/n sighed.

"i want to go back to our house," was all she had to say to get her mother upset again.

"i don't care about the people at my school!"

"they treated you pretty badly, y/n," her mother said patiently, getting out of the car.

the windows were open slightly so y/n could hear, "now, come on."

"i will," she sighed. "i just have to reply to someone."

"okay. well, your room is the third room on the left. don't go to the library, it's pretty dangerous in there. want me to take your bag?"

"it's ok, mum. i got it." she smiled and her mother sighed and left.

y/n didn't have a text to answer, she barely had any friends.

she sat in the car, shoving her head into her hands, muffling her tears.

it's my fault, she reminded herself, it's my fucking fault i'm stupid and ugly and got bullied. it's my fault we moved.

y/n knew her mum liked the country, too - and that just made things a whole lot worse.

she muffled the screams this time, hitting herself quite badly with her small petite hands.

she would've started trying to pull out her hair but she was interrupted.

the girl shook the sadness away and flattened her hair in case it was her mother who'd come back to get something else.

something hit the car.

she jumped, whirled her head around to scan the area but she couldn't see anything else besides her surroundings.

childish laughter echoed from outside, and now y/n wanted to go in the house but also stay in the safety of the car.

another rock flew but this time she saw it.

she forced herself to get out of the car, figuring that the mansion wasn't that far away so she could sprint towards it if something happened.

she slammed the door much louder than she expected she would.

it made her skin crawl. it made her anxious. it made her want to yell out...

"who's there?"

internally, she groaned. she'd watched copious amounts of horror movies! was she an idiot?

the hedges moved, leaves moving into each other like tectonic plates.

ok, she thought to herself. i'm hallucinating.

her body wanted to run but something stopped her from doing so. all the girl did was stand there, moving but frozen, too scared to move.

the laughter echoed once again.

from the woods, she saw a boy. all y/n was brave enough to do was stare at him.

he began to walk; one foot in front of the other until she could see him properly.

he stood before her, his piceous mop of hair almost gleaming in the dim fog, sweatered arms pocketed, a dark twinkle in his eyes that didn't quite radiate mischief; but something much darker.

they radiated some kind of swimming disturbance he enjoyed to have, she'd finally found the words to describe the strange look he gave her.

silence flew over them as they studied each other.

he broke it, voice smooth and powerful, controlling.

"miles." 

"y/n."